New Member - Saying Hello from the Great White North

MJWilson_61

Well, its certainly not white right now - a little toasty but my kinda weather.  New to this forum as of yesterday - posted a question before actually introducing myself and sharing a little about me.  I am getting back into the audio (and visual) scene with all the downtime i have had over the last 18 months.  In my teens and early 20's i was quite into music and had a decent LP collection that went along with my Pioneer SX-750 receiver (still have and works), AKAI turntable and a variety of iterations of DIY speakers.  Life and kid and work and marriage (no complaints) took precedent for about 25 years.  Now I am fine tuning my tastes and equipment.  Currently have a Yamaha RX-A780 AV receiver coupled to a 5.1 Paradigm speaker system (SE Monitor 3000 for mains, SE Monitor Atoms for sides, SE Monitor 200C for center and a V10 subwoofer).  It's seems 'OK' for TV and movies (Netflix, Prime, Disney, PLEX) but when i got a new turntable (AudioTechnica LP120X with VM95E cart); the sound was not where i want it - even when played 2-CHannel Pure Direct (which is nicest).  I will probably be upgrading the cartridge to an Ortophon 2M Red.  A little muddy in the middle and not crisp enough at top.  I've looked at maybe Klipsch RP8000F and get the GR Research upgrade kit; but i think in want to DIY again.  They certainly have some great stuff and the reviews are strong.  Looking forward to chatting...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: New Member - Saying Hello from the Great White North
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2021, 11:41 pm »
Maybe you need a better phono preamp.

https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

Oh, and welcome to AC!

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2021, 12:30 am »
Welcome!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2021, 12:33 am »
Welcome! The improvement in my system when I upgraded my front 3 from paradigm monitor series to X-static/voce combo was substantial. If DIY is an option I highly recommend it over buying something commercial and then upgrading them.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2021, 12:40 am »
Welcome. You'll find that if you want to DIY then for the $$ Danny's kits have better components then commercial speakers unless you pay big $$. It will be down to convenience factors. Upgrading a speaker that is already built by changing the X over is way simpler. To me not as satisfying though. :)

Again welcome.
SC

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2021, 02:20 am »
Welcome to AC!  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2021, 11:10 am »
Welcome!

How far north are you?  One of the big DIY challenges is not being able to audition before hand.  Another DIY challenge is proud papa syndrome, which impacts nearly every review you'll find beyond your own impressions.  If you're way up north auditioning is really tough. 

MJWilson_61

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2021, 10:45 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes and replies.  To clarify, my great north is still actually more south than some US cities...LOL.  I am about an hour north of Toronto just outside of Barrie.  I do have an external phono preamp (Project Phono-Box MM), not high end but likely better than the builtin in the Yamaha AV receiver.  When i stated the mids were muddy, that was a general statement of sound thru the Paradigms - be it streamed movies, music as well as vinyl playback commonly via the full 5.1.  I do find that Pure Direct 2-CH mode does make the vinyl more natural sounding but i still think it is the limitations of the Paradigm SE Monitor 3000's.  I will still probably play with cartridges but i assume i wont hear the true benefits until the speakers are up to snuff.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2021, 11:42 pm »
I used to be a big fan of Paradigm speakers.  I had a pair of Atoms in the 90’s.  You could pull the crossovers out and upgrade the caps.  The caps in stock crossovers often leave much to be desired.  Another option is to check with Danny to see if he has an updated crossover kit for your speakers.  After hearing the X-Statiks they pretty much ruined me for traditional box speakers.  The X-Series speakers are ridiculously good for the money.

MJWilson_61

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2021, 01:48 am »
Already reached out to Danny - advised he had not worked with my model or Paradigms (however used on of his favourite words when describing network components....CHEESY.  That's when email conversations moved in direction of X-series.  Not sure if my room acoustics could work with open baffle X-Statics - though i hear they are awesome.  My system is corner placed (per wife) in a carpeted basement rec room which is about 14 x 22.  Dont think i could get them far enough from wall and not get grief.  Probably X-MTM's.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2021, 02:52 am »
In your situation, the X-MTM or X-SLS would both be fantastic options. The MTMs will be able to play roughly 10Hz lower than the SLS, and having the dual M-165 woofers allows for clearer, more articulate mids, since each woofer is only doing half the work.

That said, even my base level X-LS were an absolute joy to listen to.

I'm sure no matter what you end up choosing you're gunna have a blast! :thumb:

e_biz80

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2021, 12:56 am »
I’m not too far from you. I’m in Mono. If you’re interested in hearing what Danny’s speakers sound like. I have the NX-Treme’s with two dual OB subs.