NX-Otica Finish Choices

zenfishbike

NX-Otica Finish Choices
« on: 7 Aug 2021, 02:34 pm »
I intend to spray an automotive paint on the baffle. I have an HPLV gun though no experience with it yet (I will practice, practice, practice!). Originally I thought I'd Duratex everything else however now I'm considering going for a more upscale appearance by veneering the side panels and spraying a smoother finish on the insides and base. Two questions:

1. I'm considering Padauk veneer. If I desire it black, what suggestions do you have to stain or dye it black? Along with any application and final finish tips.

2. Ease of dust removal is a desire on the inside and base. Would something like SprayMax 2k Hot Rod Black be a better choice over thinned out duratex? Any other suggestions using the HPLV gun or otherwise?  https://www.amazon.com/SprayMax-Spray-Automotive-Chemical-Resistance/dp/B08XDLLCVD

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2021, 03:51 pm by zenfishbike »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: NX-Otica Finish Choices
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2021, 02:52 pm »
It sounds like you want to dye the veneer black. If that’s the case, I’d suggest using ash instead of Padauk. As for the dye, you can use Rubio monocoat black precolor, Speedball India ink, or a dye like TransTint

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2021, 03:05 pm »
My thought would be to find an example of what you'd like them to look like and then determine how to get there. Can't hit a target you can't see, eh?

Concerning black on Padauk. Black or black-ish? In my mind black is going to hide color and accentuate grain pattern. In which case why Padauk? Ash or Oak might be a better bet. Best accomplished with paint of some ilk.
 Black-ish would be more like looking through a black tinted lens and if I'm honest, making the red of Padauk turn black is not going to be easy.
Perhaps starting with something closer in color to what you want might be a better choice. Say Walnut or Wenge. On the other hand if you veneered in something light like Maple or Birch, it would be easier to accomplish the see-through black.

Coloring wood is a huge part of finishing. For a first spray project, I'd steer you towards something where you're not jumping in the deep end of the pool.

zenfishbike

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2021, 03:20 pm »
Mike, Peter,

Good points about trying to make reddish wood appear black. I found the Padauk veneer on closeout but it's not backed so it's a pass. Want to keep the grain so I think paint is out. My thought is to choose a wood I like and see how it looks with and without the black dye and then decide. My preferences tend to be with red-ish wood like cherry and sapele though American walnut is my all time favorite. While the white-ish woods give the best black dyed result I know I wouldn't like the look without. I think I'll be ok to have something less than full black. I guess ordering some samples and testing is next in line....