conrad-johnson Preamps

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
conrad-johnson Preamps
« on: 20 Jul 2021, 11:25 pm »
That recently purchased Rega Saturn and a spare pair of Magnepan 1.7s has rekindled the stereo lunacy which was lying dormant.

Any thoughts on the various conrad-johnsons preamps?
I've heard everything from old ones sound boring to I miss the old ones!

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: conrad-johnson Preamps
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2021, 02:27 am »
Old ones syrupy and warm which I sort of like.  New ones are supposed to be completely different and have excellent reviews.  I want to hear some of their newer offerings but there are no dealers near me and I never see their gear at shows.  They may be a good match for the right amp and the 1.7's.

I have been very curious about their gear and would love to hear a complete CJ system.

JackD

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2021, 03:02 am »
CJ preamps are usually high gain so some care in amp matching is usually warranted.

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2021, 03:14 am »
i have had a several cj preamps over the years... since the art and its lesser sisters, prem 16 and 17 (around 2000) the house sound has become much more transparent and impactful than their golden hued rolled off luscious sound of their older models from the 80s and 90s

current models in the et range and gat are exceptionally transparent and have great speed... but still with the midrange and imaging magic

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2021, 04:25 pm »
Must it be a conrad-johnson?
Under $1K:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649758064-blue-circle-bc-21/
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649757697-inspire-by-dennis-had-lp-27a-preamplifier/
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649753085-cary-audio-slp-74-preamp-with-phono/
$2K but absolutely delicious sonics.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649756694-joule-electra-150/

Didn't see anything that grabbed my attention on A'gon.

Hi Jake....

Agree about the Joule sonic signature.  Years ago I owned the Joule OPS 2 phono stage -- fond memories.   :thumb:

Super organic and immersive with a rich, chocolatey, and lush flavor.  Can be too much if your rig is already tilted that way.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2021, 04:30 pm »
Yes, I guess it must, I just bought a Premium 17LS fresh from a visit to the factory for a tune up.
The previous owner found it to be too SS sounding for his tastes, he wanted that tube golden glow sound for classical music.

We'll see how it goes, I'm going to use either this or the deHavilland UltraVerve3 with the Magnepan 3.7 system and the loser of the great tube preamp shoot out of the century wil get used with the spare 1.7s.

I have my suspicions as to how it's going to go but I won't know for certain until next week.

I did talk to another ex-Joule owner and he said pretty much the same thing, tends toward the ARC end of the spectrum and that's pretty much the deHavilland.
I already have a Sonic Frontiers and an AVA (both of which I really like) but a little variety never hurt things.

sunnydaze

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2021, 04:42 pm »
Nice choice on the UltraVerve 3.    :thumb:

Always wanted to try one.  Based on what I know of its reputation for musicality and warmth, I think it would be right up my alley.   

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2021, 04:46 pm »

I did talk to another ex-Joule owner and he said pretty much the same thing, tends toward the ARC end of the spectrum......

That's interesting.....
I never owned one, but just based on reputation alone I always thought that the ARC sonic signature was polar opposite to Joule.    :scratch:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2021, 05:01 pm »
Jesse (the Joule fanatic) says that they're warm and lush sounding.
I heard his years ago and that's pretty accurate.  I figured it would be too similar to the UltraVerve.

Remember years ago when someone put out a cryoed CD road show, I think it was 4 Pink Floyd CD-Rs and one was cryoed, pick it out?
I spent an hour with the deHavilland going back and forth and couldn't pick it out.
I went upstairs where the Sonic Frontiers preamp was and one listen to track #1 on each disc: it's number 3.
Sticks out like a sore thumb.

The deHavilland is really non-fatiguing, great soundstage, it makes everything sound good BUT that's also the limitation.

From what I recall of ARC it's rich, deep, smooth, the Barry White of preamps.
Sonic Frontiers would be Mike Tyson, ha, ha.

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2021, 05:22 pm »
My understanding is that the early ARC tubed units were smooth, buttery, and "toob-like".  Not so much for later tubed units which are reported to have more of a SS'ish character, nor any of their SS ones.

Again, no direct personal experience.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jul 2021, 05:38 pm »
I have no knowledge of SS ARC gear.
I don't mean Grandpa's Magnavox console, I just mean a warm overall sound quality.
From what I've heard of ARC gear you can listen to it all day and it sounds really good.
Where I thought they excelled is in the depth of soundstage.

The Sonic Frontiers is a totally different presentation.
Remember that JBL ad where the guy is sitting in front of the speaker with his hair blown back?
Everything is clear, crisp, dynamic and is what you'd choose to listen to Live At Leeds at high volume.

I'm hoping the conrad-johnson will fall right in the middle.
Get the dynamics and detail with the warmth and soundstage.
I'll report back after a bit and give an update.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jul 2021, 05:43 pm »
Cool beans, Steve, I have a Mercury 2 and it is the epitome of warm and romantic.  Quite the opposite of my LS-25 MkII.  Nothing wrong with the C-J preamps they are pretty well vetted out and I think we all agree as to the timeline changes of the house sonics.  There a few of the older preamps available for fairly low $ right now.  I owned a PV10 at one point.

Interestingly I just managed to score a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 and matching SFP-1 from the original owner and they are going directly to PartsConnexion for Chris to do the full Monty upgrades to both units.  Both units absolutely mint condition too.  Love the gold faced SF gear.

Hey Spellmeister, how's it going? 

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jul 2021, 05:47 pm »

Hey Spellmeister, how's it going?

Oy!  Prepping for knee replacement surgery!    :o   :roll:

You?

Years ago I owned an SFL-1 Signature (stock).  Not my fave.

PS: no remote on that SF gear!    :lol:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jul 2021, 07:30 pm »
Look at this way, no batteries to go dead and piss you off.
Would come in handy for knee surgery, though.

Chris Johnson is a good guy, keep us posted on that one.
I'm real interested to hear how that turns out.

I was on the lookout for a Mercury, from your description it sounds like an UltraVerve3 but more so.
They don't come up for sale too often and disappear quickly when they do.
Kara Chaffee has a good ear, I'd say.  Just don't try and pick out the cryoed CD and you're good!

twitch54

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jul 2021, 08:20 pm »
Yes, I guess it must, I just bought a Premium 17LS fresh from a visit to the factory for a tune up.

Hope it works out to your liking Steve !

Years ago I had a PV7 driving my Threshold S500 which in turn drove my Maggie MGIIIa's, loved it !

JakeJ

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jul 2021, 08:34 pm »
Oy!  Prepping for knee replacement surgery!    :o   :roll:

You?

Years ago I owned an SFL-1 Signature (stock).  Not my fave.

PS: no remote on that SF gear!    :lol:

Well, some choices are a roll of the dice.  Read some good things about SF and the upgrades PCX is doing.  I'll have to wait and see.  I'm OK with no remote now that I have rearranged my system such that the volume knob is at my right elbow and the turntable cue is at my left.

I tried to get my right knee done in March.  But it never got done thanks to my incredible luck.  Originally scheduled for March 17 I went for the preop on 3/15 and was declared COVID19 positive effectively cancelling the surgery.  I had moderate symptoms, got over it in about 10 days, took three more weeks to get vaxxed, rescheduled surgery for May 10 which barely left enough medical leave to get through the rehab and PT.  Nope!  Denied again as I had minor heart attack the night before.  Shit!  Now I have to wait and limp around until next March before I'm eligible for another paid medical leave can be applied for.  12 weeks per year, per person, allowed in WA state.

So I wait.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2021, 08:45 pm »
You are overdue for a change in luck.
I'm thinking maybe Barbara Eden from her I Dream Of Jeannie days will appear to help you flip albums over.
That would balance things out.

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:22 pm »
That is terrible Jake...so sorry to hear it.

I'm retired so my full time job is getting myself fixed.  Only 65, I feel 90.  Six surgeries in past 5 years (orthopedic and detached retina),  one maybe two more shoulder jobs on horizon.  Just mixed in for fun I may have RA.  Past 4 months both hands been swollen / stiff / painful.....can barely use them. No relief.   Diagnosis not firm, doc suspects RA but is awaiting test results.

On a more cheery note.....
Sweet setup!   :thumb:  Comfy and convenient --  I love it!  I want that chair.  What is the brand / model?

Curious about what those upgrades do to the SF stuff.  Did you listen before sending it off?  Long ago I also owned he SFL-2 line stage.

PS:   I'd be wanting Jeannie to do more than flip my LPs.    :lol:

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2021, 10:26 pm by sunnydaze »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 22 Jul 2021, 12:17 am »
Maybe she has a sister?

Everybody stop falling apart and I'll try to do the same.