'Special order' BHA-1 - is it possible?

R. Daneel

'Special order' BHA-1 - is it possible?
« on: 16 Jul 2021, 05:40 pm »
Hello!

I have a few questions regarding the BHA-1 headphone amplifier. My questions are regarding it's preamp functionality. I already own a BHA-1 but instead of having to go through the process of modifying it by factory, I'd rather purchase another one and use it just as a preamp. My questions are:
1.   is there an option to have a 'conventional' (logarithmic) volume pot rather than the standard one which is more 'tailored' towards headphone use?
2.   Considering the standard gain of the BHA-1 is 14 and 20 dB for Low and High gain positions respectively, can the gain be reduced to, let's say, 12 dB and 18 dB respectively?
3.   Also, is it absolutely necessary for the difference in gain between the Low and High gain positions to be 6 dB or are other values possible?

Thank you!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 'Special order' BHA-1 - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2021, 07:16 pm »
Hi Antun

Thats a Mike question - mpickett@bryston.com

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2021, 07:53 pm »
Hi Antun

Thats a Mike question - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Thank you, James!

Cheers - Antun

GrooveControl

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2021, 04:19 am »
Hi Antun, I used the BHA-1 as a preamp for a few years and really liked it.  I dealt with Mike on two of the three questions you asked, back in fall of 2019….
1 - No, at that time Mike said they only have one volume pot that works in that unit. Maybe things have changed since then. Please let me know if Mike responds otherwise. 
2 - There was a modification option that they offer to lower the gain for about $85. I think it was 12db.  They did this to my unit and it worked nicely driving my 3B.

In the end, I gave in to remote control envy and acquired a used SP1.7 which I run in 2 channel bypass mode.  I can’t say I noticed a difference in sound quality between the two units. Both are excellent to my aging ears. 

Enjoy.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2021, 02:34 pm »
Hi Antun, I used the BHA-1 as a preamp for a few years and really liked it.  I dealt with Mike on two of the three questions you asked, back in fall of 2019….
1 - No, at that time Mike said they only have one volume pot that works in that unit. Maybe things have changed since then. Please let me know if Mike responds otherwise. 
2 - There was a modification option that they offer to lower the gain for about $85. I think it was 12db.  They did this to my unit and it worked nicely driving my 3B.

In the end, I gave in to remote control envy and acquired a used SP1.7 which I run in 2 channel bypass mode.  I can’t say I noticed a difference in sound quality between the two units. Both are excellent to my aging ears. 

Enjoy.

Hello and thank you for replying!

I will certainly make a post here after I receive a reply from Mike.

Remember, the ears are only the tools, the 'mechanic' is - you! :)

Cheers - Antun