REVIEW Van Alstine DVA M225 Monoblock Amplifiers | Part-Time Audiophile

Eric Shook

• Managing Editor, Part-Time Audiophile
    • Part-Time Audiophile
The DVA M225 Monoblock Amplifiers win our Reviewer's Choice Award today, and are a shoo-in for Editor's Choice in the fall.

Maybe even a nomination for Product of The Year?? Only time will tell.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2021/07/09/audio-by-van-alstine-dva-m225-monoblock-amplifiers-review/

avahifi

We really appreciate this excellent thorough review of these little gems.

I have a pair running right now driven by the first production sample of our brand new matching Digital Preamplifier.  It is a new DAC with gain and a volume control, completely balanced system from input to the speakers.  Sound?  Even better then your review.

We will get you a sample as soon as we can ship.  Just waiting for the remote control, fixing a couple of minor software bugs, and costing out the project.

Frank

ernest787

Any commentary on how these compare to a 600r?

Wondering if there would be a significant difference if I were to move from the 600r to a pair of these. 

I'm currently using the 600r to power a pair of salk ht3s

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
Without going into gory details, I can safely say that AVA would not have gone to all the work of designing a new amp, with a new chassis (heat sinks on the sides), if it didn't sound noticeably better than similarly priced products.  There's also the 30 day return policy.   I don't think you will be disappointed.  Just remember:  its XLR only.

Dan

RonN5

I'm guessing that most of us will never really use more than 60 watts of power from this amp...so a question for those of us who wish we had 20amp circuits throughout the house.  At a 60 watt output by the M225, what kind of amperage/wattage is being drawn from the wall?

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
The M225 will typically draw between 1 - 2 amps from a 120 vac outlet at low to moderate / normal listening levels.  At this level, the amp will run cool:  definitely not hot, and maybe not even warm.

LOUD will run warm to somewhat hot and be in the 3 amp range for current draw.  Your 60w figure probably fits right in here somewhere.

INSANE will run hot to very hot and be around 4.5 amps.  This is easy to do on the bench with a sine wave, but nearly impossible to do with music unless you are clipping the louder passages of the songs (distortion).  At this level and temperature the output mosfet transistors will be hot enough to start shutting down and thereby reduce the amp's power output.

The line fuse is a 5 amp slow blow fuse.  It should never blow unless something is wrong (or the fuse is worn out).

Dan

I.Greyhound Fan

Any commentary on how these compare to a 600r?

Wondering if there would be a significant difference if I were to move from the 600r to a pair of these. 

I'm currently using the 600r to power a pair of salk ht3s

I the initial review on the m225's and a review on the first iteration of the R series amps.  Both are excellent and are different flavors.  I prefer the M225's.  I find them more musical and prefer the mid range.  The R series are nice though since you can change the sound slightly with tube rolling.