high and low pass filters?

avahifi

Re: high and low pass filters?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2021, 12:20 am »
These are passive circuits and probably won’t damage the sound.  They appear to have several choices available to help a biamped system.

Frank

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2021, 03:22 pm »
Thanks Frank!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2021, 04:58 pm »
It is worth noting that FMODs are poorly implemented PLLXOs.

https://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html

dave

trebejo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2021, 12:24 am »
Oh, I've been wondering about this for loooong time. I tried a DBX 223 solely as a 1-way to feather the bottom from 20-50 hz and I think it's OK, but when I tried it as a 2-way, the high-pass made a midfi mess of things and I pretty much gave up on the idea of placing a "foreign" object between the preamp and the amp.

But maybe a passive line-level high-pass crossover has a better chance to be ok?! I have a pair of speakers that might improve if they don't have to handle the signal below around 100 hz.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2021, 01:03 am »
The HP of a PLLXO depends on the input impedance of your amplifier. To make that less of an issue they terminate the filter with something like 5k. This is in parallel with Rin so the preamp suffers if its Rout is not really low.

The HP can be just a single series C, but its value is dependent on the amp’s Rin.

dave

trebejo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2021, 01:51 am »
The HP of a PLLXO depends on the input impedance of your amplifier. To make that less of an issue they terminate the filter with something like 5k. This is in parallel with Rin so the preamp suffers if its Rout is not really low.

The HP can be just a single series C, but its value is dependent on the amp’s Rin.

SubscriptsNICE! I didn't know we had those here.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. IIRC the AVA hybrid amps have Megohm-ish input impedance, so the single cap sounds like a pretty simple experiment with them. I think the solid state is < 100kohm (maybe 50k?), so that requires a little arithmetic there.

Heh. I just realized that I had put the HP into the solid state and the LP into the hybrid when it all went midfi. I'm sure the DBX as HP still ruins things but I still should have tried it the other way.  :duh: