Bryston B60 and Dynaudio 52 SE

cipsideil

• http://www.autoshow.ro
« on: 18 Mar 2005, 02:09 pm »
Hello guys! Please excuse my english, since I'm romanian. I'm the owner of a set of Dynaudio Audience 52 SE. I have to opportunity to buy a Bryston B60 from 2003 with remote. Even if it's two years old it has not been used. I really don't know if is ST or SST. Do you thinck it will be a good match for my speakers? I use Van den Hull cables (Royal Jade). On the moment I don't have a decent CD player, but in the very next future I intent to buy one. Any suggestions regarding the CD player ?

jethro

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2005, 11:58 pm »
cipsideil:

I have no experience with these two products, however, looking at their specifications, I would be inclined to say that the B60 is underpowered for the 52SEs at higher listening levels. At lower levels, you may be fine. Depending on what kind of deal you may be able to make, you might want to buy the B-60 and add a 3B-ST/SST or 4B-SST later and just use the B-60 as a pre-amp ?

If you get the B-60, you might want to get the DAC option installed (not sure how easy this to do in your location) and just buy a cheap DVD player rather than buying an expensive CD player (or you could wait to see if Bryston puts its prototype CD player  into production).

As far as B60 ST/SST goes, the following URL may help you:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=16030&highlight=b60

cipsideil

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2005, 07:42 pm »
THX for your reply jethro. Regarding the power is no problem since my listening room is only 17 square meters (182 sqft - I hope that the conversion is correct). Now I'm using Dynaudios with a set of Cambridge Audio 640 A + 640 C. The amp is 65W/8Ohm and 100W/4Ohm and and is not necessary to drive it over half of its volume. The ideea is how much evident will be the improvement adding the Bryston B60 comparing with the Cambridge Audio? I don't have the opportunity to listen the Bryston before buying it

Thanks

JarrettH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2005, 08:50 pm »
I thought my B60 was a HUGE HUGE upgrade over my NAD C350. If that's any good comparison, I'm not sure, but I think the C350 was $600CDN at the time.

cipsideil

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2005, 09:55 am »
The hint is very good, since NAD 350 (mostly the new 352) is the main competitor of Cambrdige 640. At least, this is the situation here in Romania and on some European markets. The price is quite similar, arround 500 EURO each of them, but on the paper NAD has more power. When you listen them they seem quite similar in terms of power and driveability. Regarding the sound, it's a matter of taste. Personal, I like more the Cambridge

teaandcake

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2005, 04:59 pm »
I bought Brystons BP25 & 4B - SST along with a pair of PMC ob1'S about 2 yrs ago. the system sounded good but it never sounded right or involved me on an emotional level, after about 18 mths i sold the PMC's and lisened to various speakers with my Bryston kit. i finally settled for the Dynaudio S3.4, there are very few rave reviews on this speaker, unlike the OB1. However to my ears they easily better the OB1. Many people say that there is a great synergy between Bryston & PMC, I think the synergy is just as good if not better with Dynaudio speakers.

jimmyp58

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2005, 02:38 am »
Dynaudios sound great with most anything but if you ever have an itch for an even better sound, find someone with some VMPS speakers!

KJ

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2005, 02:53 am »
cipsideil,

Welcome to AC!  I think a B60 will be fine if you listen to music at moderate levels.

-KJ

Musky_Don

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2005, 04:29 am »
Hi Cipsideil,

My understanding is that Dynaudio took the drivers from the Contour line old 1.3mk11s (bookshelf) and the 1.8mk11s (floorstanders) and pushed the technology down into the Audience line 52SEs and 72SEs.  While I have not heard these models, I have owned the 52s, 72s, 1.8mk11s, 1.1s, T2.5s and Confidence C1s.  I have a pair of Confidence C2s on order.

Since Dyn built/designed the drivers, cabinets and crossovers, I think you will find that they are incredibly easy to drive compared to the specs.  In your size room the B60 should have no problem.  I have used a variety of amps/pres in my quest - I have never had a problem getting any of the Dyns to open up.  Be forewarned - Dyn makes it easy to get hooked on them for life.   :rotflmao:

Enjoy,

Don