Don Sachs X5 review

newzooreview

Don Sachs X5 review
« on: 7 Jul 2021, 12:07 am »
I just noticed this review linked on the Spatial Audio site. I hadn't seen it referenced here (and probably it was, but I didn't see it).

It's very thoughtful, and if you hadn't noticed it I thought I would post the link.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/reviews%20of%20gear%20i%20own.html

Personally, I was surprised to see him saying something very like what struck me about the M3 Sapphires: you are not "constantly analyzing" what the speakers are doing to the music. It still seems like a kooky thing to say, but at least someone else was hearing a similar thing.

Once this speaker has 100+ hours to run in, it is truly a speaker about nothing. It simply vanishes. You are not listening to the speaker and constantly analyzing. Thinking about the things you like, and also the little things you don’t like and will have to learn to live with, as with every other pair of speakers you have owned. How certain recordings would drive you crazy as they interacted with your speakers and room. That little honk in this vocal or that. The brightness of certain instruments. I really don’t hear any of that with the X5.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Don Sachs X5 review
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:02 am »
Thanks for the post newzooreview.  :thumb:  A good read, and as could be expected Don pulls no punches. Will have to look into Clayton's offerings more closely.  8)

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:25 am »
Don had installed in his X5's a different pair of caps than Clayton normally uses.  And he says that those speakers, running with a slightly modified Musical Paradise tube DAC and his own new Valhalla tube integrated is just crazy good.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:35 am »
A nice little thread on the review here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171745.0

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2021, 02:49 am »
A nice little thread on the review here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171745.0

:thumb:  Missed that 1st time around. Thanks.

doggie

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2021, 11:51 am »
I just noticed this review linked on the Spatial Audio site. I hadn't seen it referenced here (and probably it was, but I didn't see it).

It's very thoughtful, and if you hadn't noticed it I thought I would post the link.

http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/reviews%20of%20gear%20i%20own.html

Personally, I was surprised to see him saying something very like what struck me about the M3 Sapphires: you are not "constantly analyzing" what the speakers are doing to the music. It still seems like a kooky thing to say, but at least someone else was hearing a similar thing.

That was one of the reviews that helped me make the decision to buy a pair. I do not think that saying that the speakers caused him to stop "constantly analyzing" was kooky at all. In my mind that is the highest praise one could possibly give and and defines the speakers as the perfect antidote for our Audiophilia Nervosa treadmill.

I wonder if Clayton has plans for a "Special Edition" X3/5 using those upgrade caps?

« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2021, 02:57 pm by doggie »

geerock

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jul 2021, 01:33 pm »

That was one of the reviews that helped me make the decision to buy a pair. I do not think that saying that the speakers caused him to stop "constantly analyzing" was kooky at all. In my mind that is the highest praise one could possibly give and and defines the speakers as the perfect antidote for our Audiophilia Nervosa treadmill.

I wonder if Clayton has plans for a "Special Edition" X3/5 using those upgrade caps?
Exactly doggie!  I don't know how anyone can relax and enjoy music when they are constantly moving their head from side to side, up and down, fretting over a half inch movement for the umpteenth time about a bass trap.  Heres what's "kooky" to me.....owning a pair of speakers and still analyzing placement, height, toe in, and tilt after a year or year and a half.  Bringing out measuring devices time and again.  You have the two best sound measuring devices attached to either side of your head.  Trust them. Thats what Don is talking about.  Being in a place where the sound is emmersive and 3D.
Where it just surrounds you.  Sit back and feel the music and enjoy.  That's what it's for.
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2021, 07:31 pm by geerock »