Getting the 9.0 marble back in the box..

Jay S

« on: 17 Mar 2005, 05:52 pm »
Hi all,

I have a somewhat dumb question.. but can anyone give me tips on how to get these heavy marble 9.0 speakers properly back in the box?  I am having a hard time fitting them in their styrofoam molding and getting the box to close.... I am moving in a few days and I really want to make sure that the speakers are secure and the boxes can seal before I let the movers touch them....  

Thanks!

- Jay

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2005, 08:20 pm »
I would think the foam should fit to the speaker.  Be sure to line up the legs and try each box if the first doesn't fit.   Cover the baffles.

Jay S

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2005, 01:45 am »
Thanks.  Hard part has been lining up the feet properly since the speakers are so heavy.  I even tried removing the feet from one of them but somehow the foam won't fit properly and I can't close the box.   :(

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2005, 03:15 am »
Jay,
Don't quote me, but I believe they go in with the legs facing upwards, kind of laying at an angle(45`) against the foam.  Good luck.

Regards,
Jeff

KKM

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2005, 04:06 am »
It might be easier if you put the styrofoam on the floor, then put the speaker on them, then the other styrofoam, then the box over the whole think. Once the box is covering the mass, push and flip the box upright. This way you are not lifting the speakers and putting them in the box which could throw your back, and I kow how that feels. Also this method is a lot easier if it doesn't quite fit because then you are lifting the empty box up, adjusting the speaker and foam until it fits instead of lifting the speaker and foam out of the box until it fits.

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2005, 04:59 pm »
Thanks very much.  Apologies for not replying sooner - I was on an out of town trip.  Well the speakers are in the boxes now... hopefully I packed them safely!  We move to the new place next week and by next weekend I should have the audio system set up again... at which point I will know if I damaged the (expensive!!) drivers... or managed to protect them!

jqp

• Facilitator
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2005, 02:38 am »
Sorry I didn't see this - I have moved my two pairs of Marble 9.0s around some.

There are two pieces of foam per box. Put the piece without leg indentations in the bottom.  Remove the grills from the speaker! This is how they come to you originally.

You must be careful to handle the speaker so that the baffle and drivers are facing up in the air/away from you when you heave the speaker up in your arms. Then arrange the drum so that the legs are pointing up and lower the speaker onto the piece of foam that is inside the box.

Then fit the other piece of foam over the speaker with the legs up, and you are ready to add the grill and close up the box.

Practice fitting the two pieces of foam together in the box without the speaker to make sure you have the right pieces and the right box!

The two pieces of foam may seem to be identical. Maybe they are, maybe you have mismatched the 4 total pieces that you have. Maybe both pieces could fit against the legs, and you just have to pick one of them to be the top piece. In any case, the speaker got to you packed the "correct way, and you should be able to piece them together.

Hope it all goes well!

Jay S

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2005, 12:36 am »
Thanks for the detailed reply!  I did end up putting the speakers in the box feet up... one with the grill and one without!  I never got the foam to fit quite right but was able to tape up the box anyway.  I was a bit nervous when I set up the speakers in the new place 2 nights ago... would the drivers be damaged?  

At first, only the left speaker was playing... uh oh, was it my dac, my pre or my amp...  I then realized that the balance control of my pre was set all the way to the left.  Ok, so now both sides were playing.  But one side was louder than the other and the imaging was crap!  Took a few deep breaths and contemplated being forced to fork out large sums of cash I don't have.  Then I noticed that one speaker was toed in while the other was firing almost straight ahead.  Imaging and level problem fixed.  Uh oh... the treble was splashy and harsh... don't tell me I killed Revelator tweeter (or two).... Ah, but as system warmed up (got tubes in my dac and tube pre) it smoothed out...

Long story short, all is now fine!   :D   The system is sounding fine and we are settling in our new place which after just 2 nights feels like home (even if it is still messy!).

Guan

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2005, 02:06 am »
Congrats on your new home!

Glad to hear your system made the move intact and is singing again. I'll bring over some single malt to celebrate when you and Shy are more settled! :D

Jay S

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2005, 02:42 am »
Thanks, Guan!  It would be great to catch up.  The place is shaping up nicely but still several days of work to do.  The living room looks more like a furniture warehouse, paintings still on the floor, etc.  But the nOrh 9.0s look good, and blend into the room decor better than they did in the old place.  They have more room to breathe and no longer have a big blocky TV in between them which will ultimately be good for imaging.  Have not set up my Echobusters yet but that is part of the plan for this weekend.  

We are using a guest room as tv/video room... I am going to set up my Avinci speakers there and am planning on getting a JVC digital receiver.  Will try to use the RAD Micros as surround speakers.  Room is not big and the Avincis extend well into the mid-bass but if I need more bass then I may move the Force sub from the living room main system.  

Hope you guys are well.  

Cheers,

- Jay