Intro

TonyEngines

Intro
« on: 25 Jun 2021, 11:32 pm »
Hello from North Carolina.  I've been riding with vintage gear for the past decade, but recently a very real case of acute upgraditis has crept into my brain. I finally gave into the inevitable and pulled the trigger on a Fet Valve CFR Preamp and Vision SET 400 Amp.  So very excited and I can't wait to "officially" join the family!

Meicheng

Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2021, 02:43 am »
That is some great new kit you've ordered, and I'm sure you'll be amazed at the sound, compared to whatever equipment you have now. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2021, 02:47 pm »
Congrat's!  You will love the sound.

Nick B

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2021, 03:04 pm »
Hello TE and welcome to the family  :thumb: I don’t own an AVA preamp, but I do have the SET 120 Control Amp,  a less powerful version of the SET 400 based on the same design.
You are in for a treat and pls report back when things have “settled in”.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2021, 05:36 pm »
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy them! :D

avahifi

Thanks for joining us.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2021, 08:38 pm »
Thanks a whole bunch for joining us. Hope you love your new AVA equipment.

Note that I almost always am the one to pick up the phone when you call us (651-330-9871).

I enjoy interacting with all you music lovers and am happy to share with you whatever knowledge I have gained in over 60 years doing this about audio design and use.

Often I can guide you through a setup issue or system malfunction with a phone call.

Not always though.  My worst failure was with a phone conversation from an irate customer who complained that since he installed his new AVA amplifier he was hearing a loud random BEEP from the system. I could not resolve the issue by phone so asked him to send it back to us for repair.  While the amp was on my test bench running perfectly, I got another call from the user.  Now he was really angry and said my amp had ruined his system because the BEEP was still there. Turns out the issue was a low battery signal from a nearby smoke detector!  He demanded and got a refund anyway.  So remember to check your smoke detector before calling, 🙂

Frank

charmerci

Re: Thanks for joining us.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2021, 09:23 pm »

Often I can guide you through a setup issue or system malfunction with a phone call.

Not always though.

Yeah. Don't plug and unplug IC's when your DAC is on. I learned the hard way.

aln

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2021, 09:41 pm »
You should write a book!

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2021, 11:28 pm »
Thanks a whole bunch for joining us. Hope you love your new AVA equipment.

Note that I almost always am the one to pick up the phone when you call us (651-330-9871).

I enjoy interacting with all you music lovers and am happy to share with you whatever knowledge I have gained in over 60 years doing this about audio design and use.

Not always though.  My worst failure was with a phone conversation from an irate customer who complained that since he installed his new AVA amplifier he was hearing a loud random BEEP from the system. I could not resolve the issue by phone so asked him to send it back to us for repair.  While the amp was on my test bench running perfectly, I got another call from the user.  Now he was really angry and said my amp had ruined his system because the BEEP was still there. Turns out the issue was a low battery signal from a nearby smoke detector!  He demanded and got a refund anyway.  So remember to check your smoke detector before calling, 🙂

Frank

That may have been the “best” refund you’ve ever issued  :icon_lol:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2021, 11:37 pm »

Hard to believe I wrote this nearly 13 years ago, but you answered the phone then, too. I doubt I'll ever forget. BTW, the system you built for me back then still gives me goose bumps...

I picked AVA above the rest after months and months of research. I knew that I wanted an all new two channel system, and just started reading everything I could. This research took me through a maze of choices, wherein one would find tons of prose and wonderful thoughts, but if you Google "XYZ stereo sucks", you find the opposite opinions nearly instantly.

I finally ended up on EBay and found a nice Hafler. I looked up Hafler and found AVA rebuilding them. I called my best friend and asked "Do you remember Van Alstine gear from high school?" We both did.

From there, I read all of the old Audio Basics. Pretty nice publications for someone looking to buy a whole new system from the ground up. Just about everything you can possibly have in a system is addressed in no nonsense terms and backed with sound engineering principle.

Next, was this forum. There is just so much information here. There are just so many posts of how nice Franks gear makes the music sound. So many 'Thank you's' to Frank. And Frank's posts, right there in the mix trying like hell to make folks understand what he has been trying to get across for quite some time.

Finally, when I called AVA to place my order, Frank answered the phone. I told him that I was surprised to hear him answer. He said "This is the fun part." How cool is that?

Lastly, try to find a bad review of AVA or the Van Alstine name. It simply does not exist. That, in and of itself to me, speaks volumes of of the man, his gear, and his long term dedication to the audiophile community.

Thanks, Frank!
Jerry

BTW - The music sounds just stunning here  :thumb:

TonyEngines

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2021, 09:17 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I actually called AVA few weeks ago (before I purchased the equipment) with some random questions.  I did not speak with Frank; it was a woman whose name escapes me but she was very friendly and helpful.  I always gravitate toward the "little guy" - smaller independent companies that need to work five times as hard to stay afloat, but that dedication and passion shines through in the products and customer service - and AVA definitely embodies that spirit.  I'm looking forward to reporting my thoughts on the amp/preamp!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2021, 04:44 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I actually called AVA few weeks ago (before I purchased the equipment) with some random questions.  I did not speak with Frank; it was a woman whose name escapes me but she was very friendly and helpful.  I always gravitate toward the "little guy" - smaller independent companies that need to work five times as hard to stay afloat, but that dedication and passion shines through in the products and customer service - and AVA definitely embodies that spirit.  I'm looking forward to reporting my thoughts on the amp/preamp!

You spoke with Mary who is great.

whell

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2021, 05:42 pm »
My Dynaco ST-150 rebuilt by Frank and company is still going strong, and still love the sound it puts out. One of these days I might break down and try the new production stuff, but it’s hard to imagine I'll tire of this amp any time soon,

birbygdad

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2021, 03:25 pm »
Greetings from Alabama. I’ve been running the same set up you ordered for some time now. It is really super! In the opinion of this old HiFi nut AVA equipment offers quality and performance that cannot be beat at twice the price or better. Plus you get Frank and he’s seen and heard it all.