sapphire m5 with suprateks

rockymystic

sapphire m5 with suprateks
« on: 15 Jun 2021, 04:30 pm »
Hello Folks, I recently acquired a used sapphire m5... and i am really enjoying these speakers. My room is 13.5 w * 27 l and they play really good.  I am having no room treatments at this point but still the bass is clean and tight. do not feel like adding a subwoofer, although I have rythmik f12g and will pair it with it after some time. I have currently paired them with John hogan 45 amps, and I am planning to buy supratek preamp. Have anyone already tried that? I am aware of some spatial owners pairing them with Don Sachs preamps, but curious if any one tried with supratek preamps. I am leaning more towards supratek due to its phonostage.

Thanks,
Rakesh.

JackD

Re: sapphire m5 with suprateks
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2021, 06:57 pm »
I own both a Supratek and the Don Sachs and they are both great preamps in terms of sound.  In terms of flexibility the Supratek has the advantage of adjustable gain and balanced inputs and outputs.  The Sachs preamps now have a fixed gain of 18db so you need to see how that works with the input sensitivity of the Hogan's.

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2021, 11:15 pm »
I have the Supratek Chardonnay and Wayne’s linestage from the DIY Audio Pass Labs site. The Supra has that distinctive tube aroma and it has much more gain than the other, not really significant in my setup. Whenever I have one or the other hooked up I do not miss the other. They are both superb. With the Supratek, of course you can further change the aroma with different tubes, be the rectifier, regulators or the 6SN7’s. My Chardonnay was bought, used, círca  2008 and has played flawlessly since then. Recommended. and you can get it new from Mick for $2000. BTW, my loudspeakers are Spatial’s M4 TM. Amps are are FW F4, Pass Labs XA25 and the latest Pass Labs kit, the Vfet amp.
If you want to experience a huge soundstage, dynamics and body go for it.

rockymystic

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2021, 03:11 am »
Thank you every one for the clarifications.