New to GR Research, seeking advice

pmwoodward

New to GR Research, seeking advice
« on: 14 Jun 2021, 09:54 pm »
Hello, I have enjoyed 2 channel audio for more than 40 years. I have just recently discovered GR Research and Danny Richie on YouTube. Fascinated to say the least. I recently went into a shop fully expecting to buy the KEF LS50 Meta. While noticeably better than my Swans D2.1 SE speakers, the difference was no way near enough to spend the $1500 asking price. I have built DIY speakers before (Bob Brines) from flatpack and a different model from plans alone. The experience was rewarding and the results were good. Been looking at the X-LS Encore and the X-Statik. Leaning towards the X-Statik. I have never heard an open baffle speaker before and ideally would like to hear them first  before ordering. Not quite sure how they are different than boxed speakers. I tend to prefer a less forward speaker. I listen to various genre with the exception of hard rock. My listening room is 14' x 14', but partially open on the righthand side to another room. I typically listen at levels of 80-84 db. I also have a sub. Of course, I am looking for something that will be a dramatic improvement in SQ, the KEF's were not. I also tried the Klipch RP600M and they fell noticeably short of my Swans speakers. Your feedback and opinions are welcome. Thanks!
Paul

mkane

Re: New to GR Research, seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2021, 01:54 am »

Skilly

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2021, 02:30 am »
Back in the Old Days, Like pre-covid, Members here would makes theirs systems available for people to come and listen, if they were in the neighborhood. It will be interesting to see if that practice resumes as levels of infection reduce. So many of the participants here are extremely kind, but I doubt even the most charitable will risk death to give you a show.

That said, you might give a general approximation of your region, which you might be will traverse for a listen, some one might oblige, assuming all take good precautions, with vaccinations and mask? 

Open Baffle designs seem to be spreading rapidly, and there is a good chance a dealer in your area might have a spatial system?

I note that you mention the size of your room, which seems to be a great starting point. Just keep in mind the distance from the walls you will need to have an effective system. Danny says MINIMUM of 3 feet from the wall, and more is likely for best set up.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:39 am »
The 1st time I heard the X-Statiks they were set up in an unfinished basement as a 5.4 system.  The rears were X-Statiks too!  X-Voce center and 4 15” subs.  Playing movies they were very impressive.  But it wasn’t until I had the guys running the demo turn off the subs and switch it to 2-channel that I got to hear just the front pair alone.  They projected a huge soundstage with the singer well behind the speakers.  Bass while not the deepest was still there.  At that point I was sold.  They do sound better with more space around them and even better with proper room treatments.  They have been my living room speakers for years and I have no intention of selling them or replacing them anytime soon.  I highly recommend No Rez, Sonicaps, Miflex bypass caps and Isoacoustics Gaia III for best performance.

pmwoodward

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2021, 02:08 pm »
Thanks guys! Does anyone have any feedback on how the X-LS Encore compares to the X-Statik? I do have room for the X-Statik. Moving them out 4' should not be a problem. My current speakers are 3' out. I am also curious if anyone has compared the KEF LS50 Meta to the X-LS Encore as the KEF did not overly impress me. Yeah, many people are still worried about Covid. I live north of Boston, close to the NH state line. I think I will wait until I can demo a pair before pulling the trigger.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:41 pm »
X-LS has essentially the same drivers so their overall character is the same.