VDA-1 DAC with the NAD C541i

carvalhot

« on: 16 Mar 2005, 08:35 pm »
If I use a CI VDA-1 DAC with the NAD C541i cd player, will I lose the HDCD conversion of the cd player?

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2005, 01:48 am »
The VDA-1 is not an HDCD converter. It will decode HDCD as a standard redbook CD.

carvalhot

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2005, 03:13 pm »
Thanks.

rivon

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2005, 07:29 pm »
Sorry, I am changing the topic abit...

To which level of CD players can the sound quality of the VDA-1 be compared?

Best regards,

Roberto

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2005, 05:05 am »
Is this a trick question? ummm...Level 2
Seriously, I don't know how to answer...

The VDA-1 will improve the sound of most CD or DVD players under $1k, but I'm sure there are some exceptions. It also depends on what you're trying to get out of a DAC, better detail? more warmth? etc.

Our design is very balanced, from solid bass, smooth midrange, extended highs and good imaging. It has no overwhelming strengths or underwhelming weaknesses, just great overall perfomance with a very neutral sound.

ryno

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2005, 05:37 am »
I don't know if it's my place to say, But I've used the VDA-1 with both a Denon DVD-900 and a Yamaha cd changer. In both cased there was a remarkable difference, mostly in the imaging and soundstage. More stable image, less wandering left and right.The soundstage didn't seem to expand, but the separation between instuments in the soundstage was increased. Everything had a more distinct space in the soundstage. I've never tried it with a more expensive player, or heard a more expensive DAC. Interpret as you will.
Ryan

rivon

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2005, 07:05 pm »
No trick here, CI Audio. As a matter of fact I own a VDA-1 to improve the CD playback of my DVD player (Sony DVP 975), and it did, notoriously. My question aroused beause I thought that the VDA was on par with the NAD, but with the first post I realized that the VDA is better, just wanted to know how much better.

best regards,

Roberto

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2005, 10:32 pm »
If I told you it's better than this or that, you'd only be getting MY opinion (which should mean nothing to you).

We offer a 30 day return policy, so customers can do their own comparisons and see what they like best. To me, that's all that really matters.

T. Perinne

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2005, 09:55 pm »
CI Audio - how about recommending a couple good transports (universal) for your VDA-1 / VAC-1... I have some opinions but would like to hear yours please.

Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2005, 05:47 am »
To be honest, I don't have the time (or need) to try everything that comes out...there are literally hundreds of sources out there, and the name brand models from Asia seem to change daily.

At the shop, we get great performance from our older, slightly modifed Pioneer DVD players with VDA-1. All are older models ranging from DV-525, 414, 333 etc. At home, I still use an old Alchemy DDS.Pro.

As for current models, I'd suggest checking the forums for a wider variety of user suggestions.