New Equipment - An Update

Phil_S

New Equipment - An Update
« on: 24 Apr 2021, 07:54 pm »
After listening to the same electronics for many decades they were finally replaced with a Van Alstine 120 Control Amplifier and Vision Phono Preamp.

The first thing I noticed is silence regardless of volume setting from the listening position.  The second was dynamic range.  On large orchestral pieces e.g., Die Meistersinger live from Bayreuth a Phillips recording, I didn’t hear any aural congestion.  The music wasn’t being squeezed. 

Instrument placement was solid, it didn’t waver from one place to another.  The Ohm Walsh drivers throw a large sound stage without a pinpoint sweet spot, both horizontally & vertically.  You could tell where the musicians were sitting whether it was a quartet or full orchestra.

I’ve probably got 100 hours on the Van Alstine gear over the past month and it’s really opening up.  The bass is tighter & deeper than the first time I turned it on.  Lousy recordings sound really bad now but good recording sound great.  I was surprised how flat my recording of Who’s Next sounds, a 180g re-issue when I initially put it on the turntable.  Today it’s vibrant, a joy to listen to.  Brubeck’s Time Out, a 2 Eye Columbia recording, he’s in the room!

I have a soft spot for Leontyne Price and particularly Aida.  Unfortunately the copy I have is an RCA Red Seal Dynaflex pressing.  There’s a fair amount of surface noise but the music shines through.  It is so much more alive than what I heard previously.  Next up is the Soria recording of Tosca.  Need to wait for the house to quiet down (washer, dryer, dishwasher, etc.).  I once defrosted the fridge/freezer

That’s my story & I’m sticking to it!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: New Equipment - An Update
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2021, 11:38 pm »
Thanks!

I've read several posts about Frank's AVA 120 Control Amp - all positive. One of these days, I'd like to demo one in my house.

Michael

Nick B

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2021, 12:42 am »
Michael,

It’s a fun, wonderfully musical amp to listen to!  An absolute bargain for the money.
If it weren’t for the extra 💵 and weight, I’d loved to have tried the Sachs Kootenay you have as well  :thumb:

Nick

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2021, 02:47 am »
Michael

Either one of the SET power amps would be a great match with your Sachs preamp.  I'm using the SET 400 with mine at the house in SC.