Turn the Stratos plus into a dual mono?

Xyrium

« on: 14 Mar 2005, 03:21 am »
How much does it cost to upgrade the Stratos Plus to a dual mono, or dual mono extreme? I don't have space for two separate chassis, so the dual mono route is my only option. I have a plus with green boards.

It appears that even the Plus can't handle 4 ohm loads very well without congestion at higher levels. I want the new Plitron dual transformers with 240k uf of capacitance. Otherwise, I think the only other option is a Halo A21 or Aragon 3002, plus I'd get balanced connections with those (of course I'd have to upgrade my preamp though).

BTW, what are each of the dual mono transformers rated for in VA?

Xyrium

« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2005, 11:13 pm »
Bump! So no one has had this done before?

byteme

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2005, 01:32 am »
Dual mono extreme can't be done, not enough room in the chassis.  You're best bet it to go mono extremes.  That'll run you between 1300-1600 for the upgrade to your unit and the new mono extreme.  I had a stereo extreme and the mono's are as advertised, really something special in comparison.  More detail, more bass, more control, more emotion.  Just damn impressive.  If you can't do it now, I might suggest waiting until you can.

Xyrium

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2005, 02:08 am »
Thanks for the reply byteme. I guess I meant just moving to a dual mono build since they use the same chassis as the regular Stratos Plus. I definitely won't be going to a monoblock design due to space constraints. If I had a 20x30 listening room, I could see the purpose, but I am in a 15x13 room, with bookshelf Dynaudio Audience 50 speakers, so I hope I wouldn't need that much horsepower. Of course, I'd like to have that much power, but it's just not justifiable right now.

byteme

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2005, 04:46 pm »
The dual mono and stereo extreme are pretty close, with the edge going to the dual mono.  Getting closer to the maximum of what this design can do.  My room is 12x20 and the dual mono's are far from overkill.

However, I do understand about the space constraints.  Until we got a new TV which needed a small stand I had no room for mono X's either.  However, I was able to find a TV stand that just happened to have a pair of shelves which just happened to be a PERFECT fit for mono X's  :wink:  :mrgreen:

Going from a stratos w/ cap upgrades to a dual mono or stereo extreme there will be benefits.  I'd inquire of Klaus which would work out better for a 4ohm speaker.

Ferdi

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2005, 01:36 pm »
Hi Xyrium, I have the Plus (had it for 3 years or so) and combine it with Dynaudio Audience 82. A bigger beast but in the same mould as yours. I have not come across the congestion issue you raise. Could this be a limitation elsewhere in your system or possibly your room?

When in doubt, call Klaus and ask the question.

Good luck!

Musky_Don

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2005, 03:50 am »
Xyrium,

I have owned quite a few Dyn products (40s, 52s, 72s, T2.5s, T2.1, 1.1s, 1.8mkIIs, C1s).  I have also enjoyed Odyssey products for a long time (own both the standard monos and the extreme monos as well as 2 Tempests).  I echo Ferdi's experience regarding no experience with congestion issues.  IMO, Odyssey and Dynaudio gear complement one another - high synergy.  The 4 ohm load from Dyn on the 50s is not a hard load - the crossovers and drivers were designed together, the Stratos/plus should have no problems making the 50s sing.  

I'd talk to Klaus first to rule out a problem with the Stratos.  If I can be of help, let me know or send a PM.

Best of luck.

Xyrium

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2005, 04:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. It could be the room. I have a few Sonex Jrs in there now (15x13) but it still has reverbation issues. One day I'll need to do a frequency sweep to determine what needs attention. A pair of Khartago Monos might be a good move since they aren't that large. However, I would need to stack them, and I believe they vent through the top.