I bought the X3! Now what?

kingdeezie

Re: I bought the X3! Now what?
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2021, 01:41 am »
Being an audiophile taught me patience. I was always into music and audio but once I got serious and became an audiophile is when I truly began to learn patience —and this site was part of that learning. I’m sure it was a manufacture here that I was inpatient with once...

And I’ve also heard Clayton is quite busy.

All good things in all good time.

+1.

At one point in my life I had a pair of AV123 LS9s on preorder. I want to say for two years maybe? Eventually settled for a pair of LS6s, and moved on.

After that, everything since has seemed tolerable.

Good luck when the speakers arrive!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2021, 02:43 am »
Just got word from Clayton.  Speakers shipped today.  The shipping company promises one day delivery from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas.  Tomorrow might be the day!

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2021, 07:15 pm »
Shipping company contacted me.  The speakers are in Las Vegas.  Delivery tomorrow (May, 20).

Marcus

TomS

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2021, 07:53 pm »
Shipping company contacted me.  The speakers are in Las Vegas.  Delivery tomorrow (May, 20).

Marcus
Break in, break in, break in. Until a few hundred hours I wouldn't try to tweak, adjust, or change components, other than placement and room treatments. They'll come right along and you'll know when it's time to start refining the details.

sockpit

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2021, 08:00 pm »
Based on my M5s, I couldn't agree more.  They sounded weird and disappointing just out of the box.  It took not only a few hundred hours, but then lots of placement tries, and eventually a ton of GIK treatments to get them to where they are at.  You won't know what you got until close to the return window.

geerock

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2021, 09:54 pm »
Yeah....break in is real....especially if you are new to dipoles.  I wanted to send mine back but everyone said hang on a little longer.  I'm glad I did.  I remember just moving them around a little and tilting them forward just a shade and "bang" it had been there all along.  Shortly after I got a Don Sachs all in pre and changed out some IC's and got additional benefits from those.  I'm currently listening to the finest system I've owned, and one of the finest I've ever heard.  And I'm not a young man, so I've been around a lot of audio gear.
All the best to you with your new X'3s.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2021, 01:04 am »
Yeah....break in is real....especially if you are new to dipoles.  I wanted to send mine back but everyone said hang on a little longer.  I'm glad I did.  I remember just moving them around a little and tilting them forward just a shade and "bang" it had been there all along. 

here too.  my spatials did not sound very good at first and i could not believe that they would improve that much.  but after a while they did, and became easily the best speakers i've had in my system.

its hard - but hold off judging them until they have many many hours on them.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2021, 02:53 am »
Okay, you all have seriously lowered my expectations.  But...

My current speakers are $500 a piece bookshelves.  Aluminum dome tweeter and a 6 inch mid-range driver.  They have served me well (especially for home theater).  But, I just wasn't getting the music listening experience I wanted from my bookshelves.  The X3s are a huge upgrade for me.  I listen to classical and especially choral.  Assuming they arrive tomorrow, as expected, I'll set them up and begin the 24/7 burn in process.  I'll be listening all the way along.  I know speaker positioning is critical.  I'm focused on correct positioning.  Certainly, I will post my experiences.

Marcus

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2021, 03:24 am »
$500 bookshelf's to X3's?  Ha!  You really might shit yourself.   :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2021, 03:26 am »
I'd strongly recommend using them without subs until/unless you get some servo OB subs that can keep up with what the X3's can do.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: 20 May 2021, 12:21 pm »
$500 bookshelf's to X3's?  Ha!  You really might shit yourself.   :lol:

LOL.  This would certainly indicate a favorable impression of the X3s.

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #31 on: 20 May 2021, 12:28 pm »
I'd strongly recommend using them without subs until/unless you get some servo OB subs that can keep up with what the X3's can do.

My plan is to turn off my current subwoofers.  I will set the new X3s to LARGE (full range), measure the distance to the MLP and enter it into my pre/pro, and set it to stereo.  I estimate placement 4 feet from front wall, three feet from sidewalls, 11 feet to MLP and 8 to 10 feet between speakers.  I'll play around with distance between speakers and toe-in.  I'd prefer not tilting them forward or backward.  I will install isoacoutics gaia II feet (with spikes).

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #32 on: 20 May 2021, 05:13 pm »
Arghhhh, no delivery today, maybe, tomorrow.  Clayton should mark PERISHABLE on the box, hahaha.

Marcus

Delta77

« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2021, 05:21 pm »
You picked some very nice speakers..!
I'm honestly I'm a bit jealous , I want a set of X-3's myself..
Being that your kinda new to AudioCircle , I wonder what equipment (electronics) you will be using in front of the Spatials..??

I've been at this game for about 5 years now , and I'm still learning..

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2021, 09:39 pm »
You picked some very nice speakers..!
I'm honestly I'm a bit jealous , I want a set of X-3's myself..
Being that your kinda new to AudioCircle , I wonder what equipment (electronics) you will be using in front of the Spatials..??

I've been at this game for about 5 years now , and I'm still learning..

Sure!

1. My music, mostly classical and some jazz, is stored on my NAS.  DSD and FLAC (PCM) format.
2. I recently purchased an "audio" enhanced network switch.  Router, NAS, and Home Theater Computer (HTPC) are all connected through the switch using Bluejeans Cat 6a cables.  Is the switch "snake oil"?  Maybe.  Supposedly prevents distortion and/or corruption of the digital file transfers between NAS and HTPC.
3. HTPC uses JRiver to convert all files to PCM and sends the music via HDMI to my Marantz AV8805 pre/pro.  HDMI cables made by Bluejeans cable.  See note below.
4. Marantz pre/pro converts files to analog and sends the analog signal via XLR to my Parasound Halo A52+ amplifier.  Supposedly, class A for the first 10 watts, then class A/B up to 180 watts.
5.  Amplifier sends signal to my speakers via 12 gauge Bluejeans speaker wire.

Note:  I purchased an exaSound S88 DAC.  It is currently stuck in customs but I should get it any day now.
1. HTPC will send the original digital file (DSD or PCM) to the DAC via USB.  No more need to convert DSD to PCM.
2. DAC will convert to analog and send via XLR to the Marantz pre/pro.

This is my system.  Many people eliminate the pre/pro and go direct DAC to amplifier.  I need the pre/pro for other devices.  There are lots of DACs so enjoy exploring.  I will install Isoacoustics feet on the speakers.  I will not upgrade power cables and speaker wires.

Thanks for asking.
Marcus

Johnny_Fi

« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2021, 12:14 am »
Sure!

1. My music, mostly classical and some jazz, is stored on my NAS.  DSD and FLAC (PCM) format.
2. I recently purchased an "audio" enhanced network switch.  Router, NAS, and Home Theater Computer (HTPC) are all connected through the switch using Bluejeans Cat 6a cables.  Is the switch "snake oil"?  Maybe.  Supposedly prevents distortion and/or corruption of the digital file transfers between NAS and HTPC.
3. HTPC uses JRiver to convert all files to PCM and sends the music via HDMI to my Marantz AV8805 pre/pro.  HDMI cables made by Bluejeans cable.  See note below.
4. Marantz pre/pro converts files to analog and sends the analog signal via XLR to my Parasound Halo A52+ amplifier.  Supposedly, class A for the first 10 watts, then class A/B up to 180 watts.
5.  Amplifier sends signal to my speakers via 12 gauge Bluejeans speaker wire.

Note:  I purchased an exaSound S88 DAC.  It is currently stuck in customs but I should get it any day now.
1. HTPC will send the original digital file (DSD or PCM) to the DAC via USB.  No more need to convert DSD to PCM.
2. DAC will convert to analog and send via XLR to the Marantz pre/pro.

This is my system.  Many people eliminate the pre/pro and go direct DAC to amplifier.  I need the pre/pro for other devices.  There are lots of DACs so enjoy exploring.  I will install Isoacoustics feet on the speakers.  I will not upgrade power cables and speaker wires.

Thanks for asking.
Marcus

That exaSound S88 DAC carries a pretty serious price tag! Looking forward to hearing your opinion on it.

radarnyc

« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2021, 07:19 pm »
Marcus - let's see those speakers!!!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2021, 08:25 pm »
That exaSound S88 DAC carries a pretty serious price tag! Looking forward to hearing your opinion on it.

Will do, once I get it.  There is a 30 day return policy.  But, one of my most respected reviewers, Kal Rubinson, loves exaSound DACS.  It is a multichannel DAC.  Here's his review plus a report on the DAC on the test bench.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/exasound-s88-multichannel-da-processor

Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2021, 08:26 pm »
Marcus - let's see those speakers!!!

I went to the freight company and got them.  They are in my truck (just got home).  I'll post photos once they are set up.

Marcus

doggie

« Reply #39 on: 4 Jun 2021, 12:03 pm »
I placed an order for M5 Sapphires on January 29th – they haven’t arrived yet................

Did you receive them yet? I hope so.

My X5's are now 8 weeks in the queue.

Marcus bought his X3's after I ordered my X5's and received them in 4 weeks. Looks like we should have ordered X3's? :)

I think that getting parts is challenging for bespoke manufacturers these days.

Good things are worth waiting for.