Speaker Surround Repair

bobg

Speaker Surround Repair
« on: 23 Mar 2021, 12:23 am »
I have a 4.5 inch driver with a thin rubber surround that my cat put her claw through. There is a 1/2” tear in the rubber. To mend the tear, I think I need a low viscosity glue that dries pliable and will not attack the rubber or make it stiff. This may be mission impossible. A replacement driver was quoted at $250 by the speaker manufacturer, so I am motivated to fix this driver. It is one of four drivers in a MMTMM arrangement. It is a ported speaker. I have noticed any obvious distortion so I may just leave it for now.

Has anybody successfully repaired a rubber surround? Maybe the glue that is used for patching a bicycle inner tube would work.

Bob G.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Speaker Surround Repair
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2021, 12:30 am »
It can most certainly be done.  Rubber cement stays flexible.  Applied to the back of the surround with a thin layer of rubber sheeting (a balloon?) to act as a patch should do the trick.  I've used it on corrugated paper surrounds, and yours should be easier.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2021, 12:27 pm by S Clark »

GerryD

Re: Speaker Surround Repair
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2021, 07:42 pm »
Have you considered contacting Millersound to see if they can repair the surround? I've always read good things about the work they do.

http://www.millersound.net