The Intellectual People Podcast - Amir from Audio Science Review (ASR)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

In this video, Amir of Audio Science Review (ASR) explains his past career and what led to the formation of ASR.  He also explains the testing process of electronics and speakers using his $200k of measurement equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhcJC7i_j3I

VinceT

I do find the content useful from the site.They live and die by audio measurements. If you have tube gear or like ladder dacs no need to go there ...lol.

Like I said I do find it very useful and appreciate what they do.

ServerAdmin

Please keep comments on topic i.e. the podcast. Thanks.

nc42acc

My apologies for voicing my opinion on the forum instead of the podcast. Thank you Jason for your time and effort.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Good video.  Usually don't like long videos but enjoyed this one.  I've read many of his reviews and this provided perspective.

goskers

Great interview. Keep up the good work.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
This is really exciting stuff.  Especially the speaker measurement parts.   As we get better measurements and better data, we end up with better speakers.  So cool.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Yup! Job well done!

Best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Thanks guys!

Tyson, I presume you know about Erin's Audio Corner?  He also has an NFS and is speaker & drive unit testing only. 

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

He was on my channel too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvXbJJln-s&t=277s

Tyson

Thanks guys!

Tyson, I presume you know about Erin's Audio Corner?  He also has an NFS and is speaker & drive unit testing only. 

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/

He was on my channel too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvXbJJln-s&t=277s

I just watched it, very cool.  I don't see how anyone can be opposed to good data/measurements.  To me that's really useful info.  The other thing I really like is that the discussion is not just about the speaker itself, but also takes in to account the speaker/room interface.  And that's another whole area that just isn't talked about enough in our hobby. 

Freo-1

Speaker/room interaction is a pretty involved subject. Many issues to consider there.  Measurements software can help, but then you get into EQ, which is more involved than it appears on the surface.  Much distortion can be inadvertently added with EQ. 

JLM

Self deludding loudspeaker builders or fans (such as Amir mentioned) would be opposed to measurements.

Yes the room is the biggest factor audiophiles want to ignore. 

rbbert

The real question here, though, is the accuracy, relevance and perceptual correlation of these measurements.  Amir’s history of inaccurate and irrelevant measurements is not discussed in this video, but is probably still documented in archives from his earlier website (whatsbestforum).  Personally I think John Atkinson is doing a better job in this area.

Freo-1

Measurements accuracy is an issue.  Headphone measurements tend to be very divergent,  depending on who conducted them. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
I worked with headphone measurement folks for many years.

The only method that was consistent and gave excellent results was using a Kemar manikin head with specially made ear pinna with the mics in the head like binaural recordings and a clamp on the phones to keep even pressure on them to the head.  Was an excellent comparison tool.  They also had a very good pinna response response curve from the setup.

It was published in the JAES Journal in the '90s.

Fun stuff.

Tyson

Self deludding loudspeaker builders or fans (such as Amir mentioned) would be opposed to measurements.

Yes the room is the biggest factor audiophiles want to ignore. 

Using terms like self-deluded for people you don't agree with is a surefire way to trash the conversation.  Please stop.

JakeJ

Oh!  Deluding.  Deludding must be what one does to get rid of a luddite.

rbbert

The last 2 posts make me wish again for a "like" button here  8)

JLM

Oh!  Deluding.  Deludding must be what one does to get rid of a luddite.

Had it spelled right the first time, darn spell check.

Folsom

You missed that he was a co-found of WBF.