Speakers that excel in small listening spaces?

AvsFan

Speakers that excel in small listening spaces?
« on: 15 Mar 2021, 04:59 pm »
So I have been in search, for quite sometime, for a "PERFECT" speaker that excels in small listening rooms.
My room is 12x10 with 8" ceilings. Totally closed off from the rest of the house. It's a bedroom that I turned into an office/listening room.

Lets get on with some suggestions...........And it can be floor standing or bookshelf.

Markwatkiss

Re: Speakers that excel in small listening spaces?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2021, 05:31 pm »
Studio Electric M4's
ClairAudient V3's

NoDisco

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:09 pm »
I’m looking into the quads. I tried the clairaudients...weren’t my cup of tea. I have omegas with a super tweeter.

AvsFan

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:29 pm »
I’m looking into the quads. I tried the clairaudients...weren’t my cup of tea. I have omegas with a super tweeter.

What model Quads?

AvsFan

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2021, 06:30 pm »

And what Omega's with a super tweeter?

I tried Omega's, twice. Weren't my cup of tea.  :D

NoDisco

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2021, 07:12 pm »
I have SAMs which took a long time (years) to properly set up. They are very finicky about positioning and integrating with subs etc. The clairs had a tone to them that I found displeasing off the bat. I’m afraid if you go the zu route, you’ll have the same problem as with the omegas. I use townshends with the SAMs. I know when they’re there and when they are not, and when they are too much. I use them on their lowest setting, which Is what townshend recommends. I’ve tried higher and it’s detrimental. Sometimes I play the SAMs by themselves and add subs and supers back slowly. I am always glad I put them back in.

I’m looking at salks and paradigms and selahs for my next speaker project, but it’s very informal at this point. I also think I am looking at a mini monitor bc I’ve always liked small speakers. The quads are priced right for a demo, but I’m not serious about a purchase for at least several years.

NoDisco

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2021, 07:13 pm »
I’ve also heard other omegas with smaller drivers that weren’t for me. Just saying. Look at the quad monitors. S1 and  S2. You can get them for less than retail.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2021, 10:03 pm »
Look at the quad monitors. S1 and  S2. You can get them for less than retail.

He tried and sold.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175233.0

scooby_scrappy

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2021, 10:28 pm »
You may want to look at the Charney Audio Maestros.  The speakers are meant for small rooms and the speakers can pushed against the back wall.  I listen in a near field due to my corner desk arrangement.  I am driving them with a 300b amp and I listen at low volumes.

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2021, 04:18 am »
So I have been in search, for quite sometime, for a "PERFECT" speaker that excels in small listening rooms.
My room is 12x10 with 8" ceilings. Totally closed off from the rest of the house. It's a bedroom that I turned into an office/listening room.

Lets get on with some suggestions...........And it can be floor standing or bookshelf.

Hey!

AvsFan, I have seen you posted about speakers in a few different circles here and look like you have been flipping through quite a few pairs. Just out of curiosity, can you list all of those speakers that you have tried?

Anyway, for small room. I don't think I would go with big speaker, they can overload the room. Of course it would help to know what are you going to be using to drive the speaker also.

As for myself, I've been using the same pair of Single Driver speaker that I built based on 6" Fostex driver in TQWT back horn loaded and Fostex FT17H as super tweeter for the past 19 years, 15 years in my current room of which is 10'x17' and about 8' ceiling. My previous place was even smaller. Are they "PERFECT" in every way? No, but I don't have plan to change my speaker anytime soon.

Well, good luck and keep us posted.

Buddy

Nonnegativ

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:16 am »
You might want to check out the Franco Serblin Accordo's.

I have them myself in a smallish room, and they excel with a listening distance of 2 - 3 meters from the woofers. You get a unique insight into the Music at that listening distance.

The Accordo's have so far been the only speaker which makes me forget my former Harbeth SHL5's, and JMR Offrande  - all though they played in a bigger room.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2021, 12:55 pm »
I've never owned any of this model's speakers, but I've heard that Ohm Walsh speakers are excellent for small spaces.  I don't believe I've ever seen a speaker company with so many different models over the years, their legacy page is confusing in it's completeness, but it seems to simplify quite a bit if buying new.  Something to look at anyway.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2021, 01:29 pm »
Small room = small loudspeakers plus possible subwoofer(s) that you can adjust the bass volume/frequency crossover.

Look into Planet 10 hifi.  A friend has Mark Audio Alpair 10.3eN based speakers that I borrowed for a week, very nice mid-field in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room.   Just be aware that cats can wreak havoc with small/lightweight loudspeakers. 

mav52

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2021, 02:23 pm »
Ohm does a nice job in small rooms

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2021, 02:51 pm »
He ordered a pair of Ohms last year and then canceled.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=173105.msg1835064#msg1835064

NoDisco

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2021, 03:48 pm »
I’m going to go out on limb...REF3A? I’ve wanted their smallest speakers for an audition for awhile now.

veloceleste

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2021, 07:04 pm »
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 05:53 pm by veloceleste »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2021, 07:54 pm »
Spatial Audio OB speakers would work well.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2021, 08:35 pm »
NHT SuperZero 2.1 with either the matching NHT sub, or a SVS SB1000 sub. You can thank me later.

I've compared my SuperZero 2.1s with a SB3000 against $6-7k speakers; the NHTs were not embarrassed.

2oldcranks

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2021, 09:51 pm »
I will second the Spatial recomendation,M4TMs ae great in my small room/home with absorbation/diffusion in the mix. Used in a 15x12 room on long wall about 34" off front wall and 3' off side walls