Mini LP's as CD's from Japan

Digi-G

« on: 11 Mar 2005, 08:05 pm »
Has anyone got any of the Mini LP's as CD's?  Most of the ones I've seen are from Japan.  Pretty impressive packaging with most of them.  Typically they duplicate the original album release complete with booklets, linear notes, etc.  Many even make the cd look like a record.  My experience with the sound quality has been pretty good.

I've got Elton John's Madman Across the Water - it's got the cardboard, gatefold cover and is even has the denim texture like the original album.  The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour is another one (Russian, I believe) that's impressive.  They are usually older (60's & 70's) classic albums (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Clapton, etc.).

Most of these aren't cheap ($20+) - my source has been ebay.  Just wondering if anyone else is buying any of these and what your impressions are.

Monolith

Re: Mini LP's as CD's from Japan
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2005, 09:35 pm »
Quote from: Digi-G
Has anyone got any of the Mini LP's as CD's?  

These are about the only source for higher fidelity cd's of older classics such as Elvis Presley, Nat King Cole, and Dean Martin and the like.

hmen

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2005, 10:50 pm »
I've seen a lot of Zappa being sold like that on ebay. I'll have to check one out.

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2005, 08:29 am »
Just out of curiousity, is the data side of these mini-LP CDs black as well?

I am wondering because I have been buying similar mini-LP CDs of Hong Kong pop music from HK Universal Music.  These are just like what has been described in this thread....older music being reissued or making their debut on CD.  The label side resembles a LP, but the data side is completely black.  They do carry a "Compact Disc" logo and plays perfectly fine in my Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player.

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2005, 09:47 pm »
I've seen both, black and silver data sides.  I think the black is a more recent trend - maybe the last few months - at least I had never seen any before then.  

The black ones I have seem to play fine in my players.  Although I have used black ones in a work environment (for data, not audio) with less success.

gongos

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2005, 09:52 pm »
I've bought some Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry mini lp discs. Other than the packagingm they're exactly the same as the US releases.

Tyrro

• 5th note design studio
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2005, 06:26 am »
I have some brand new Pink Floyd and Zappa Japanese Mini LP CDs for sale, if anybody interested.