VMPS Sub Conections and Wire?

Timothy Reason

« on: 11 Mar 2005, 05:23 pm »
Hi all, I own a VMPS Original sub with all the extra options.  I have two questions...  

What kind of connection do you all use or think is best for wiring? The screw thing has a hole in the back of it, but does not look like it is large enough for a banana plug.

Second, what kind of wire do you use?  I am on a modest budget so I can not afford anything super expensive.  I power my sub with a Rotel RB-980BX amp bridged Mono, and the wire sould be about 15' long.  Of course since its a sub, I would be looking for a wire thats fast and not sluggish.  

Thanks!

b&k power

« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2005, 02:14 am »
well, on my subs (I have 2 "new" larger subs) I replaced the stock binding posts with another pair I got from parts express that are longer and threaded so no soldering was required and I could use spades on the end of the wires (the posts are about $60per pair). I then wired the inside with analysis plus oval 12 cable.  What a difference this makes! The bass hits so hard and is soooo smooth, you will wonder how you listened to it before! I also use the oval 12 cable from my amps to my subs. This made it sound even better. You don't have to use both mods to hear an incredible sound difference, because you said you are on a budget. But if you can do both, do both. The cable from the amp to the sub itself would be alot easier for you to do and would cost about $300 (for 15 feet).
    To do the mods inside the sub is labor intensive, and a second person makes it alot easier. You would need about 3-4 feet of oval 12, gold plated spades, and the gold plated binding posts. Total cost, about $200, if not less. You could contact analysis plus and they could make you a set of cables for the inside of the sub, so all you would have to do is install them. I don't know if this is to expensive for you, but this is well worth the price.

John Casler

Re: VMPS Sub Conections and Wire?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2005, 03:05 am »
Quote from: Timothy Reason
Hi all, I own a VMPS Original sub with all the extra options.  I have two questions...  

What kind of connection do you all use or think is best for wiring? The screw thing has a hole in the back of it, but does not look like it is large enough for a banana plug.

Second, what kind of wire do you use?  I am on a modest budget so I can not afford anything super expensive.  I power my sub with a Rotel RB-980BX amp bridged Mono, and the wire sould be about 15' long.  Of course since its a sub, I would be looking for a wire thats fast and not sluggish.  

Thanks!

Hi Timothy,

The VMPS binding posts are specially selected to accomadate "SPADE" terminations but will happily accept Bananas if they are the higher quality spring loaded, sawtooth barrel type.  See below:

The unique thing about the current VMPS posts are that they are really "solid" brass alloy posts and not hollow tubes.  The current binding nut is also made of heavy, solid brass and not plastic coated brass.

The above is true if you have the current Solid Brass nut and posts.

Timothy Reason

« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2005, 03:58 am »
Yes I beleive my posts are the solid brass ones you speak of.  It is also sound coated and Piano Black finished, which may also show its age.  I can say the posts are all brass, the screws and the nut.  I am going to go with DH-Lab Q10 wire for my sub.  Thats what somone recomended I buy for it.  Do you think I should order a little more to replace the wire in the sub? Thanks

Timothy Reason

Opened
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2005, 04:16 pm »
Well I opened my VMPS sub today to measure the wire inside and found a treat.  The wire inside my sub is Analysis Plus wire, that is Black and Purple.  I assume its Oval 12, each strand is about 1/4" wide.  The connections seem to be Silver Sodered at the speaker and at the brss binding posts.
Is this stock for VMPS?  Or was this either already modified by the previous owner, or possibly he built it as a Kit and put his own wire in?  At any rate, now I need to know, Do I need to bother changing that wire to DH Lab Q10?

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2005, 04:56 pm »
While it could be debated which cable is better, I would say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2005, 06:14 pm »
Brian uses Analysis Plus Copper on all bass system wiring currently.