Tannoy Speakers

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Tannoy Speakers
« on: 7 Mar 2021, 08:33 am »
There's a 'Mom & Pop' audio shop in Taoyuan that's been in operation for a couple decades. The brick & mortar home audio business is shrinking in Taiwan just as it is in the US, so these owners have downsized into a smaller space. Amongst other gear, they sell Tannoy speakers. I need to return to give them a listen with my DAC, but here's a photo I snapped when I stopped in to chat last month.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Tannoy Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2021, 12:33 pm »
Looks like the monsters in the back are Westminsters, very expensive.  I'm uncertain what the smaller ones are, Canterbury maybe?  I've heard the Westminsters in a several hundred thousand dollar system, lush and musical.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2021, 04:57 pm »
Tanoys are very nice.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2021, 05:03 pm »
I got the impression (without actually asking) that these demo speakers have been in his possession for quite a while. They're quite dusty. He told me after just a few minutes of chatting that he'd give me a 'good deal' on any of them. I'm not a stranger to him as I've purchased stuff from him before. I doubt he'd offer a total stranger a big discount after just a few minutes.

The Westminsters are way too big to fit in my living room. I'm not looking for new speakers, but it'll be fun to give them a listen. That is a TAD speaker in front of the left hand Westminster. It (and its sibling) appears older than the Tannoy speakers.

srivenkat

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2021, 03:02 pm »
Tannoy speakers are wonderful especially Westminsters are their top of the line.

pehare

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2021, 09:03 pm »
The smaller Tannoys are Stirlings I believe.  They kick ass I have a pair of the latest version the Stirling Golden Reference best speakers for me to date.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2021, 09:45 pm »
That's awesome! I've heard/read nothing but good things about classic (Prestige) Tannoys. Hopefully I get a chance to hear a pair some day, preferably the big ones. :D
http://www.audioclassic.org/tannoy-prestige-the-modern-classic.html

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2021, 09:58 pm »
If they get some Red's or Gold's vintage ones in and the price is agreeable they're going to be about as good as anyone would ever want.

artur9

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2021, 11:57 pm »
Those Tannoy Revolution XT Mini really look great to me.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2021, 06:39 am »
i have heard the Westminsters. Big, impressive, efficient, coloured, somehwat “blur” bass.

dave

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2021, 10:47 am »
Heard a couple pair at Axpona years ago, very nice.  Recall the price was around $10,000 USD.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2021, 12:34 pm »
Heck, the Super tweeters on top go for $2K

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2021, 03:23 pm »
  If ya like Tannoy check out Fyne