LCD TV vs LCD Monitor, connectivity and quality

Bemopti123

« on: 11 Mar 2005, 03:52 am »
Now that I have my Mac Mini on the way, I wonder if someone could chime me in with news about LCD panel monitors vs LCD TV monitors with DVI inputs.  

I am looking at the Apple and other manufacturer's 23-24" sets and here are the choices I have:

New Dell 24" Widescreen monitor at $1200....It looks very competitive but I wonder if the monitor will be good when I decided to hook Cable/Satellite to it.  It has just 2 USB inputs, S video and also DVI inputs.  What sort of device can I use to use this set as a LCD HD TV?

the Apple Cinema Screen 23" at $1600.

OR

Apple Cinema Screen 20"($899) +
LCD TV around $1500?  

All I want to do with the computer is photo, music, browsing and occasional movie.
The screen that I want will be used for the above + HD Cable programming.  

Any experience with this will be appreciated.

jdybnis

« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2005, 09:04 am »
I've ordered one of the new Dell 24" monitors to use as a TV/monitor. In a couple weeks I'll be able to post my experience.

Here is some useful info. The Apple 20" and the Dell 20" widescreen use the exact same panel. So get the Dell, it's $600 cheaper. If you look on techbargains.com for coupons and Dell sales you'll be able to get one for <$600.

I think the 20" Apple/Dell looks great. A really top quality panel. The Apple 30" looks AMAZING. The best image quality I've seen on an LCD monitor, plus it's the biggest one out there. But the 23" Apple isn't so hot in comparison to either one. I expect the Dell 24" to be better. It uses a brand new panel from Samsung. It's also much less expensive. I got mine for <$1000.

mca

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2005, 02:43 pm »
Did you ever pick up an LCD widescreen for your computer? Curious what you ended up with as I just started searching and came across the new Acer AL203WD 20" widescreen for 549.99.
Seems like a great price but I have yet to see one in action.