BDA 3.14 voltage output—can be increased?

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
BDA 3.14 voltage output—can be increased?
« on: 28 Feb 2021, 05:53 pm »
Hello Mr. Tanner—

After some years of enjoying the Bryston BDP-3 with a variety of DACs, I added a BDA 3.14 to my second system. A great way to combine the DAC with a network card!

I suppose I've been conditioned by decades of using pro DACs with voltage outputs of 6-12 Vrms, but I now find, even with 95 dB speakers, that I almost have to max out the preamp to attain even moderately loud SPLs.

Probably the 18,000 cu. ft. listening space doesn't help. . .

All of which leads me to ask—would it be possible for Bryston to "mod" my BDA 3.14 to increase the balanced XLR outputs from 4 Vrms to 6.15 Vrms (18 dBu)?

Or perhaps I should just sell the BDA 3.14 in favour of the newer BR-20 preamp/DAC/streamer?

In any case, thank you for considering my enquiry.

Joel.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA 3.14 voltage output—can be increased?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2021, 09:53 pm »
Hello Mr. Tanner—

After some years of enjoying the Bryston BDP-3 with a variety of DACs, I added a BDA 3.14 to my second system. A great way to combine the DAC with a network card!

I suppose I've been conditioned by decades of using pro DACs with voltage outputs of 6-12 Vrms, but I now find, even with 95 dB speakers, that I almost have to max out the preamp to attain even moderately loud SPLs.

Probably the 18,000 cu. ft. listening space doesn't help. . .

All of which leads me to ask—would it be possible for Bryston to "mod" my BDA 3.14 to increase the balanced XLR outputs from 4 Vrms to 6.15 Vrms (18 dBu)?

Or perhaps I should just sell the BDA 3.14 in favour of the newer BR-20 preamp/DAC/streamer?

In any case, thank you for considering my enquiry.

Joel.

Hi Joel,

If you are using the 3.14 as a preamp the maximum output is 4V Balanced because it is being driven from the internal DAC's.

james