Sealed vs ported speaker design and how the bass loads the room

VinceT

I am not sure if this has been discused much regarding bass from a ported vs sealed design and if there is a difference in loading the room in the bass region. I have done some searching on the webs and have not found much about it.

I have a set of sealed speakers that go down to 35 Hz, and a set of ported that go down to 55Hz.

The sealed speakers in this particular room sound very bad and the bass really just loads the room. On the other hand the ported design does not do this and sounds very good in the room. I do like sealed designs better overall, just not in this room. Assuming I can't do much to treat the room, does sealed and ported designs load bass in a room differently? Is bass .. just bass, and there is not any difference? Could there be a mode in my room from 55-35Z that is causing this, or could it be the internal compression of a sealed driver and the speaker reacting differently that a ported design that can release that internal pressure?....or both things happening? I am strongly considering open baffle subs. But this has been bugging me about not being able to use my sealed speakers.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
One difference is that sealed rolls-off at 12dB/oct vs. 24dB/oct for ported.

Have you tried moving the sealed speakers away from walls/boundaries?

richidoo

I am not sure if this has been discused much regarding bass from a ported vs sealed design and if there is a difference in loading the room in the bass region. I have done some searching on the webs and have not found much about it.

Not much of a difference in room loading since at low frequencies the radiation pattern is omnidirectional. The port acts like another bass driver.

I have a set of sealed speakers that go down to 35 Hz, and a set of ported that go down to 55Hz.

The sealed speakers in this particular room sound very bad and the bass really just loads the room. On the other hand the ported design does not do this and sounds very good in the room.

Sounds like you have a small room that doesn't tolerate the long wavelengths of very low frequency from the bigger sealed woofer. Sealed has lower extension than ported so it is activating more LF modes in the room. But the woofer cone is too big and overloading the room. Smaller woofer cone will rolloff higher.

Try the small ported speakers in a different way: Seal the reflex ports on the smaller speaker with a sock. You'll get the benefits of sealed woofer and it will better match the room boost but not overload the room.  If there's not enough bass move the speakers closer to the front wall. This also reduces distortion from SBIR to clean up the mid bass sound quality.

Assuming I can't do much to treat the room, does sealed and ported designs load bass in a room differently? Is bass .. just bass, and there is not any difference?

Yes, basically bass is just bass for box speakers regarding room loading. Box bass is omnidirectional. There's no significant difference other than the steeper rolloff with port and the higher distortion from the port. 

Could there be a mode in my room from 55-35Z that is causing this, or could it be the internal compression of a sealed driver and the speaker reacting differently that a ported design that can release that internal pressure?....or both things happening? I am strongly considering open baffle subs. But this has been bugging me about not being able to use my sealed speakers.

There definitely is some room mode issues in every room everywhere.
Sealed and ported do work differently internally, but that's no cause for significantly higher distortion.
Try the sealed speakers in a larger room or outdoors. If they sound better then they are just too big. Add a series cap to line signal after preamp to roll off their bass a little steeper and starting a little higher. Adjust the cap size and speaker distance to the front wall to get the right bass level and minimizing SBIR. You can fine tune them to the smaller room. You can add the cap to an adapter or IC, don't have to mod the preamp.

What kind of speakers are they? What size is the room?

VinceT

Old epi 150s. They sound great. Room is hard to describe. It's a sunken living room, mid century modern. Almost square shaped with high ceilings and an open hall way all the way around the sunken living room. The ceiling has a lot or architecture and q ledge with lighting. I put the speakers about half way I to the room away from sides as best I can. I think there is something going on in the room below 50hz. Also with the ported speakers (GR research xl encores) they are smaller so I am able to get them about 30 inches off the ground and it helps.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
The 12 dB/octave sealed box roll off compliments room gain better than the 24 dB/octave ported box (which tend to be boomy and "slower").  Have you measured your room with both pair of loudspeakers?  What exactly do you mean by responses down to 35 Hz and 55 Hz?  (At what roll off?)  As mentioned, sealed and ported behave the same in room.  Suggest you might be conditioned to hearing what you're used to/want to hear.

Almost square rooms are bad for bass.  Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction".  Sound travels at 1130 feet per second, so divide that by your room primary dimensions to find the frequencies most susceptible to peaks and dips in response.  Best solution is carefully placed multiple subwoofers to disperse the bass.  Realize that the best places to make bass is the worst for mids/highs and visa versa.  Worst setup is mains and subwoofers all in a straight line side by side.  So best to use bass limited main loudspeakers side by side with subwoofers dispersed around the room. 

RonN5

Here is an interesting room mode calculator.  Once you input the room dimensions, it shows the room mode frequencies, intensities and locations.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=12&w=12&h=9&ft=true&r60=0.6

VinceT

JLM and RonN5

I have not measure the room. The room is no where near a box and has vaulted ceiling with lots of arches and architecture, also there is an open hall way around the room, which is also about 2 foot su sunken. There is also a freestanding fireplace. So in other words lots going on here and I probably should invest in software and a mic and take some measurements. The question between the importance of 55 hz to 35 hz is the difference between the low end out put between the speakers.

But essentially you guys have answered my questions ..ty

WGH

Old epi 150s.

Are these the EPI M150 25" tall 2-way? Try raising them up 12", concrete blocks work very well as a temporary experiment.

Or the EPI/Epicure Speakers: Epicure 150 Series 3?

What is your amp or receiver? A low power tube may not be controlling the low bass making it flubby and boomy. If you have a receiver is the "Bass" knob set to neutral?

Have you checked the EPI's bass driver surrounds? New, improved, tighter bass drivers are available from HUMAN Speakers at very affordable prices.
https://www.humanspeakers.com/index.htm

VinceT

I have the M150 2 ways

I did get them up off the ground but it was still boomy

The reason for me asking is not really about the Epi's. Being the ported speakers sound great I know I can get away with a box speaker in my room if I decide to upgrade. I just need to be really careful. You guys answered my question. Bass is bass, loading is loading.