DAC-9SE, what’s the scoop?

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
DAC-9SE, what’s the scoop?
« on: 18 Feb 2021, 07:53 am »
Hey guys,

Looking at possibly purchasing a DAC-9 and noticed the DAC-9SE. I couldn’t find a clear answer on the differences and whether the SE is worth the extra coin. Is it just an upgraded DAC chip and better volume control? Any sonic differences? I notice the inputs and outputs are slightly different.

Thanks!

- Woody

rustydoglim

Re: DAC-9SE, what’s the scoop?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2021, 09:44 am »
Even though it is called 9SE, it is a redesign DAC. We just run out of model number :).

Ictwoody

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2021, 07:25 am »
So it’s just a dac update on the DAC-9 to the newer version?

- Woody

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2021, 09:49 pm »
No, I said it is a redesigned.  Perhaps it wasn't clear from the description :).
It is not just a replacement of the DAC chip, it is a redesigned DAC product. ie, power circuit, power supply, everything else around the DAC chip.

Ictwoody

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2021, 09:51 pm »
Interesting. I'd love to read an A/B comparison of the DAC-9 and DAC-9SE... any reviewers out there doing such a thing? How would you compare the 9SE to the current DAC-10(H)?

- Woody

grubyhalo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2021, 12:57 pm »
No, I said it is a redesigned.  Perhaps it wasn't clear from the description :).
It is not just a replacement of the DAC chip, it is a redesigned DAC product. ie, power circuit, power supply, everything else around the DAC chip.

What about the preamp section? Any changes/improvements there? I currently have a DAC 9 and am considering the next step up and would like a DAC+Pre combo. The analog preamp section is as important to me as the DAC section.