Yikes - I need some planning/building help

Musky_Don

« on: 10 Mar 2005, 03:02 am »
Hi all,

I need advice on how to get the best sound down in my ‘cave’.  Here’s the short story - lost my job a year ago Jan - did the smart thing took long vacation blew a lot of $$$.  While on vacation, the furnace went out, pipes froze and I had major damage in the basement from water.   The basement was finished - early 80’s style - the house is a little over 40 years old.

I have replaced the furnace (did the AC as well).  I have gutted the basement, and replaced all the plumbing in the house.  I am in the process of re-finishing and am having a ball with this project.

The listening/rec space is fairly large 23’ x 30’.  The area is split in two (no wall - two 15 x 23 areas) - one half a bar area with a pool table, the other for HT (actually primarily 2-channel).  On the listening side, the room will open up into another room that contains workout equipment and my office.  That room is 20’ x 9’ and is opened by sets of French doors, approx. 8 ft worth.  This room is facing the TV/2-channel set-up (20’ side w/doors).

Previously, the room was close to the same configuration, no opening to the workout area.  Ceilings are 7 ft.  They were covered with acoustical tile, the walls were a high quality rough finish paneling, furniture had a lot of  comfortable, soft edges.  Carpeted.  The room was the best in the house for sound.

I’d like to improve the acoustics if possible.  My better half wants a nice berber carpeting, and drywall (will have insulation on the outside walls, and in the ceiling over the 30x23 area)).  My initial plan is to do a high quality acoustic ceiling in the listening half, drywall ceiling with a texture finish in the rest.  I am not sure whether it would be better to spend money on room treatments or to finish more of the ceiling with acoustic tile.  My wife keeps adding/upgrading so the budget is thin, but I really have an opportunity to do it right.

I know there are many here with much more experience than I in designing listening space.  My primary goal is the best 2 channel listening possible w/o changing the room layout.  I would appreciate any input.  I honor all comments.

Current system components include:

2-channel:

TT/Cart:  Rega Planar 25 with a Lyra Lydian cart re-built by Van den hul (courtesy Klaus at Odyssey)
Amps:  Odyssey Extreme Monos
Pre:  Odyssey Tempest
Digital:  Cambridge Audio D500SE (some mods), older Sony SACD player
Speakers:  Dynaudio Confidence C1s

Add for HT:

Proc/Center, Rear Amp:  Denon 4800
DVD:  Some JVC model
Speakers:  Fronts - Dynaudio Contour T2.5s, Center - Dyn T2.1, Rears - Dyn 1.1s.
Sub:  Monitor Audio ASW 210

Funny thing about this project is that once I started it, it is moving fast.  I intended to ask for advice about 3 weeks ago - since then I have become a ‘plumber’s apprentice’.  I need to finalize the plans within the next two weeks.  Again, I appreciate your help.

Don

Musky_Don

« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2005, 03:28 am »
One more thing - I am replacing all the wiring in the basement and am upgrading electrical boxes.  My area of Chicagoland has some IMO goofy code w/respect to electrical requirements.  All wiring needs to be pulled through metal pipe (conduit) - no romex/free wiring.  My initial plan is to have a separate conduit run for the system, pulling 12 gauge wire to a dedicated 20 amp switch.  I don't like the idea of the metal conduit, but I am kind of stuck.  I could run larger wire with a thicker insulation.  The run form box to system runs the length of the basement approx 50 ft.  Again, your help is appreciated.  

Time to grab a scotch and review progress/plans.

Don

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: Yikes - I need some planning/building help
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2005, 03:22 pm »
Don,

> I’d like to improve the acoustics if possible. My better half wants a nice berber carpeting, and drywall (will have insulation on the outside walls, and in the ceiling over the 30x23 area). <

Is sound isolation to the upstairs important? As a rule, a ceiling that isolates more makes the room poorer acoustically.

> My initial plan is to do a high quality acoustic ceiling in the listening half <

A "high quality" ceiling is only one aspect of the room's acoustics. At 23 by 30 your room is large enough to get a decent bass response, though you still need bass trapping and absorption at the first reflection points.

But let's start with the ceiling, and whether or not you need isolation to the upstairs.

--Ethan

Musky_Don

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2005, 03:38 pm »
Ethan,

Thanks for the reply - and hello to New Milford - I grew up in Stratford, CT.  Yes, sound isolation to the upstairs is important.  The house is a ranch, and the listening/rec areas are under the bedrooms.  

Don