M3 Turbo S/ Sapphire With Sub- Your Crossover Settings?

James Edward

As the title says- where did you finally end up with your crossover? As it turns out, my SPL meter has gone flaky, and in the meantime I just got a new sub. If it matters, I’m using the sub internal crossover and the speaker level inputs- no bass management in the system. The internal crossover uses a 24 db/ octave slope.
My balky SPL meter is showing, and I’m hearing, bass beginning around 40 hz from the M3 when using the ‘Sound Check’ cd from Alan Parsons. I will experiment, as I know every room/ placement/ etc. is different, but I can’t help but think that some good collective knowledge is out there.
Thanks,
Jim

jjss49

Re: M3 Turbo S/ Sapphire With Sub- Your Crossover Settings?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2021, 04:40 pm »
i am a longtime and steady sub user (pair of rel strata's) with many speakers like quad, harbeth, proac, epos and so on

but with my m3 sapphires i feel no need to hook up subs

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2021, 10:21 pm »
Great. Thank you.

Mr. Big

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2021, 02:08 pm »
I tried dual subs and single sub, and I found the M3's don't need them and in fact hinder their performance, no matter how low the setting was, even 35Hx crossover point. The M3's are so coherent from top to bottom, and if the recording has deep bass the M3's will give it to you like you had subs in your room. I use the subs on my video system now to great effect.

James Edward

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2021, 02:52 pm »
Well then. Using the Hsu ULS-15Mk2 with M3 Turbo S I have found these settings to work very well:

Crossover 40 Hz- it’s a steep 24 db per octave slope- so the frequencies above are minimally impacted. I tried raising it to 50 Hz, but things started to get congested.

Phase 180- always room/placement dependent- sub is in front corner behind left speaker.

Q .5- This is variable from .3- .7 I haven’t heard any boominess at this setting at all. Perhaps being a sealed sub helps. It is TIGHT.

Volume at 12 o’clock- using tones and music, this seems to meld with the M3 at the 40 hz crossover point

EQ 1- This gives a flat response down to 20 hz. If I were using satellite smaller speakers, EQ 2 would likely be preferable, as it boosts upper bass.

I’m using the speaker level inputs, my integrated has no bass management, and the M3’s are run full range.