spatial and schiit

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
spatial and schiit
« on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:54 pm »
did a search of the circle for "schiit" and there are a number of mentions but only one or several direct reports.  anyone who has heard spatials powered by schiit electonics, do you care to comment on the sound and whether there seems to be any notable synergy.

thanks!

JuleZ3C

Re: spatial and schiit
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2021, 11:33 pm »
You may have read me already...

I've now received Nelson Pass new crossover kit and built only the input buffers so as to benefit from a 4 way JFET attenuator, then separated the filters sections of the M3TS so that I could use and match both Vidar and Aegir connected to the lowpass and highpass filter section (respectively) of each M3's

It's been 4 months of bliss now, the result is miles above my previous iteration (electronic crossover hackjob on a breadboard) or monoamping and I don't feel like the new Bifrost (since March) added much in comparison.

So... to try and answer you, I feel a good synergy exists when biamping the M3TS with both Schiit power amps.
Best of both 'previous' worlds really : better bass than when using the highs exquisite Aegir alone (sooo much better (even deeper and more articulate than with Vidar monoamping)) and better bass/mids/highs than when using the powerful Vidar alone, really ridiculously so... as in don't waste money on a Vidar if you have (really) efficient speakers and get an Aegir instead :)

I expect Aegir to excel on the X3 / X5, would love to hear it (or read about it at least).
Biamping the M3 Sapphires with Vidar/Aegir should also produce excellent results (caveat: Sapphire's Peerless tweeter appears to be 90dB/W...)

Downtheline

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2021, 05:58 am »
I'm using mono aegirs with my m5 sapphires. The aegirs replaced a benchmark ahb2.  I am very happy with the textures, tones and midrange articulation. Air is excellent, as it was on the ahb2. I lost some leading edge impact or dynamics, but made up for it with a recent improvement in streamer os and power supply. Sound stage depth is improved. 

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2021, 01:46 pm »
I'm using mono aegirs with my m5 sapphires. The aegirs replaced a benchmark ahb2.  I am very happy with the textures, tones and midrange articulation. Air is excellent, as it was on the ahb2. I lost some leading edge impact or dynamics, but made up for it with a recent improvement in streamer os and power supply. Sound stage depth is improved.

thanks #downtheline.  sounds like you like both benchmark and schiit amps about equally on your spatials, right? 

Downtheline

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2021, 12:42 am »
sounds like you like both benchmark and schiit amps about equally on your spatials, right?

Actually I probably won't go back to the benchmark. I really like the added midrange tonality of the aegirs.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2021, 02:24 am »
Actually I probably won't go back to the benchmark. I really like the added midrange tonality of the aegirs.

cool.  are aegirs convertable b/w stereo and mono, or are yours dedicated mono?

Downtheline

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2021, 07:12 pm »
Rca for stereo, xlr for mono