SP3 Dolby Vision - success?

derekcooper

Re: SP3 Dolby Vision - success?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2021, 06:52 pm »
Last I spoke to Mike ~ 2 weeks ago, he was asking one of his engineers to reach out to MDS for an answer. I'll ping Mike on Tuesday when he's back from the long weekend.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2021, 10:06 pm »
Not sure that Bryston shuts down for U.S. holidays, or not?

Last I spoke to Mike ~ 2 weeks ago, he was asking one of his engineers to reach out to MDS for an answer. I'll ping Mike on Tuesday when he's back from the long weekend.

derekcooper

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2021, 10:08 pm »
Not sure that Bryston shuts down for U.S. holidays, or not?

Monday is Family Day in Canada - it's our Holiday! Mike won't be at work.

DRC

« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:05 pm »
Hi Derek
Did you get a response from Mike. Doesn't make sense because the board does support DV. The HDR and DV flags that are encoded in the source are just that, and send a message to the display to switch to HDR or DV settings. When you send a DV encoded signal does you LG think it is HDR or neither? All the SP3 does is strip the audio from the signal and the video stream is not touched

derekcooper

« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:09 pm »
LG thinks it's HDR.

I would agree - you'd think all it does is strip out the audio, but apparently more happens to the signal chain at the board level.

I have not heard back from Mike - no. I'm sure he's working on an answer.

DRC

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:11 pm »
Does your LG switch to HDR or nothing?

derekcooper

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2021, 08:13 pm »
HDR as I stated.

DRC

« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2021, 10:33 pm »
Hi Derek
One month later. Did you get any response from Bryston. I am about to send mine in for the upgrade.

derekcooper

« Reply #28 on: 21 Mar 2021, 11:51 pm »
Hi Derek
One month later. Did you get any response from Bryston. I am about to send mine in for the upgrade.

No, I have not received any response. Perhaps you want to call Mike tomorrow and ask him the status on this issue? I've emailed him twice but don't want to pester.

gbaby

« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2021, 05:07 pm »
Um, I kinda do know - I never said anything about Atmos. Dolby Vision is the video portion of the signal, not audio. Needs a fast board to handshake.

Optical has limitations.

Why the *current* board doesn't handshake at Dolby Vision is a mystery on pass-through.

I now own a Sony 65A9G television and after looking back on my comment, it was dumb for me to say that I didn't think you knew how Dolby Vision worked.It obvious l didn't so you have my apology.  :oops:

derekcooper

« Reply #30 on: 26 Mar 2021, 05:11 pm »
I now own a Sony 65A9G television and after looking back on my comment, it was dumb for me to say that I didn't think you knew how Dolby Vision worked.It obvious l didn't so you have my apology.  :oops:

Teehee... that's ok buddy!

Still zero answer from Bryston though... I think I've given up asking? To me, an HDMI board sold in 2021 that is listed as supporting DV should support DV, no?

gbaby

« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2021, 11:14 pm »
Teehee... that's ok buddy!

Still zero answer from Bryston though... I think I've given up asking? To me, an HDMI board sold in 2021 that is listed as supporting DV should support DV, no?

It should support it if it is advertised as having it. Maybe Bryton will issue a software upgrade. I don't know. But, the way I get around this issue is by owning a Sony 4K HDR blu-ray player with one connected to the television and the other connected to my SP3.

derekcooper

« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2021, 12:03 am »
It should support it if it is advertised as having it. Maybe Bryton will issue a software upgrade. I don't know. But, the way I get around this issue is by owning a Sony 4K HDR blu-ray player with one connected to the television and the other connected to my SP3.

That is correct - and what we are doing already! That's not the issue - all quality 4K Blu-Ray players have dual HDMI out.

But what do you do with an Apple TV 4K? It only has one HDMI out - which you route into the SP3 so it can split out the audio while passing along the DV signal... which is the problem, cause the SP3 won't pass along the DV signal. It slows it down to HDR speeds.

And when you have a sophisticated home theatre whereby the electronics all reside in a rack nowhere near the TV, you end up having to run multiple very pricey HDMI cables cause of the long runs typical of this type of installation.

You should be able to connect devices directly to the SP3 and have it fully support up to DV speeds on one cable out to the TV.

Sorry GBaby - I know you're trying to help but you're not really following the thread here my man!   :duh:

gbaby

« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2021, 02:07 pm »
That is correct - and what we are doing already! That's not the issue - all quality 4K Blu-Ray players have dual HDMI out.

But what do you do with an Apple TV 4K? It only has one HDMI out - which you route into the SP3 so it can split out the audio while passing along the DV signal... which is the problem, cause the SP3 won't pass along the DV signal. It slows it down to HDR speeds.

And when you have a sophisticated home theatre whereby the electronics all reside in a rack nowhere near the TV, you end up having to run multiple very pricey HDMI cables cause of the long runs typical of this type of installation.

You should be able to connect devices directly to the SP3 and have it fully support up to DV speeds on one cable out to the TV.

Sorry GBaby - I know you're trying to help but you're not really following the thread here my man!   :duh:

Actually, I agree with you.

derekcooper

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2021, 02:13 pm »
Actually, I agree with you.

Teehee... too funny.

Alphonse

« Reply #35 on: 30 Mar 2021, 04:11 pm »
Thanks for the updates. I trust that Bryston and MDS can sort this out eventually. I have been enjoying my used SP3 for a couple of months now in a 3.0 system with 3 PP300SST amps. I have an Apple TV4k, an Oppo 105, and a 12 year old Samsung 1080p TV. I have been looking at 4k TVs for awhile now. At this point I am not sure if I will buy a new 4k blu ray player. Seriously considering moving away from physical discs.

Al

derekcooper

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2021, 04:24 pm »
Seriously considering moving away from physical discs.

Ours gets very little use - streaming has gotten really good and DV is unreal when you can see it!  ;-)

DRC

« Reply #37 on: 19 Apr 2021, 11:17 pm »
Hi Derek
I will try again. Still have not had a response. I have a similar issue to you so want to make sure the $1000.00 investment solves my problem. I have an Oppo UDP203 with an HDMI input. I also have the Apple 4K TV. Because my SP3 is so old I have the Apple TV going into the Oppo HDMI input and the Oppo running directly to my JVC Projector with the 2nd HDMI from the Oppo running audio only to the SP3.
It works but is not stable. The Apple TV with single HDMI feeds the Oppo and the Oppo must strip off the audio. It is constantly having issues handshaking which means I have to restart the Apple TV all the time........ but the DV flag sets the JVC to the correct DV settings.
I thought the new HDMI board would simplify things and let me feed the Oppo and the Apple TV into the SP3 and let it do what it is supposed to do by stripping off the audio and sending the video unaltered to the JVC. I also watch a lot of DV 4K content and would not want the new HDMI board to not send the DV flag to the JVC. That means I would be spending $1000.00 and have to revert back to my original configuration just to watch DV content.

derekcooper

« Reply #38 on: 19 Apr 2021, 11:20 pm »
Ok - but were you asking something? Hard to tell from your post.

DRC

« Reply #39 on: 19 Apr 2021, 11:30 pm »
Sorry
No question
Just rambling