MP-701 MK2 Tube Preamp Pre Amplifier

Escott1377

MP-701 MK2 Tube Preamp Pre Amplifier
« on: 21 Jan 2021, 12:04 pm »
Has anyone heard anything good or bad on this pre amp?

There does not seem to be too many reviews out there and I did a general search on the forum and did not find anything.

My current / soon to be previous pre was a “Masterpiece” by Transcendent Audio.  I have owned it for about 5 years and has just started acting up.  Since I am not a DIY’er, I had someone do the initial build for me.

I’m not so good with the repairs (compared to most people on the Transcendent forum) and have reached the point of no longer trying to troubleshoot.  Plus the chassis is used as a ground and it produces a slight hum that can be heard when no music is playing.

So my search has led me to this Musical Paradise option.  Their DAC has received tremendous praise and was in consideration for me at a time.

My current playback is analog - Soundsmith Voice > VPI Classic 1 > Lehmann Audio phono pre; digital is a MHDT Orchid.  This all flows into pre amp (currently using the $50 Schiit line stage), Wyred 4 Sound MAmps, and Prima Luna Dialogue 7 amps.  My speakers are passive bi amp Von Scweikert VRjr with the Gen IV upgrade.

The MP unit fits my budget right now since COVID has somewhat affected my income and we are a single income family with 4 years twins.

In other words, my wife will not allow me to stretch that 1k much further.

I looked at the Schiit Freya and have read that it really needs a quad of quality 6sn7’s NOS tubes to shine which will run me another $500.

So, this leads me back to the Musical Paradise option since I can get the cap upgrade within my budget.  The unit can run 6922 tubes and have a stash of NOS options.  The unit can really do a lot for tube and rectifier choices with dip switch changes internal to the unit.

So, thoughts from the group?

Thanks in advance -

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: MP-701 MK2 Tube Preamp Pre Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2021, 12:37 pm »
there are some videos on youtube, do a search.

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
Re: MP-701 MK2 Tube Preamp Pre Amplifier
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2021, 12:38 pm »
i have the mp-301, and its very good for the price.   cant comment on the mp-701 tho, as i've not heard it either.  but the reason that i am writing is to provide my opinion that there are many under-the-radar and inexpensive vintage 6sn7s that sound great in most equipment.   imho, the 6sn7 is a good sounding tube, and low-cost options are readily available.  you dont need to stick with the hyped-up (and expensive) 6sn7 variants ("bad boys" etc) to get excellent results.