Subwoofer with planers

Kgreen

Subwoofer with planers
« on: 19 Jan 2021, 11:27 pm »

Does anyone use a sub with their planers? I am considering use of one...or do you recommend two?

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Subwoofer with planers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2021, 12:21 am »
I use dual Martin Logan Dynamo subs with my Magnepan 1.6's. 2 subs are better than one.

I would look at the Rhythmik  F12 with the GR Research Paper Driver.  The sub is servo controlled.  For about $1100 you won't find a better sub for planer speakers.  It also comes with a parametric equalizer.  Others to consider SVS 3000 and 4000 sealed subs without knowing your budget.  Martin Logan makes some musical fast non ported subs as well.

There are many other choices but I think that The Rhythmik non-ported Servo controlled subs are the way to go.

Kgreen

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2021, 03:43 am »
Thank you...I will check them out...

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2021, 03:58 am »
Here is the link-

https://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

My son is going to buy the F12SE I believe.  A friend of mine has 2 of these paired with his Magnepan 1.7's and they integrate flawlessly.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2021, 04:00 am »
Definitely!  Power Sound Audio Triax sub (sealed design) paired with my Magnepan LRS.  Sounds great!  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2021, 12:21 pm »
Yes,  GR-Research 6x12" Servo Subs and HX300-12OB servo amps with my planar arrays.  Integrate well and sound really good.

Craig B

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2021, 02:06 pm »
I use a Hsu that's about 10-12 years old with my Magnepans. It seems to mate fine, but every now and then I think maybe a pair of newer subs would be better.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2021, 02:45 pm »
REL user here.  They are very musical.  I have a 212/SE as my left sub and two S/5 SHO’s for my right. I corner load, and due to the room configuration I placed two subs for the right channel.  I use REL’s wireless connection (Longbow) for those subs.  Speaker (high) level input to all subs.

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486987-What-is-a-High-Level-Connection-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ciFhQ_gIArU

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bnQOjCuoR9k

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2021, 05:31 pm »
It looks like Velodyne is back in business after being bought by a German company.  They have a new servo controlled digital sub with many features.  I have not heard one but I did like their prior servo subs.  They have an 8 band parametric equalizer and you can hook it up to a computer screen to make adjustments.  It also has Auto Eq.. You can even adjust the amount of servo control.

https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/digital-drive-plus-series/

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:45 pm »
Does anyone use a sub with their planers? I am considering use of one...or do you recommend two?

We used Sunfire Subs. Great combo. Today I would recommend SVS or Rythmic.

charles

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2021, 10:03 pm »
I have dual 10" sealed REL's with my Apogees. The sub is fast enough (because it is sealed) to keep up with the panels.

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2021, 12:46 am »
The first time I heard a REL sub it was paired with the Magnepan 3.7 speaker. The combination was seamless. The REL sub was the now discontinued Gibraltar G2, I immediately knew I had to have one. Besides being super fast the Gibraltar has a remote and a digital display. Since recordings have bass levels all over the place the remote was very handy. The double bass on some early jazz recordings is almost invisible but a few adjustments of the crossover and volume while remaining seated can make the ensemble whole again without adding bloated bass. The levels can easily and quickly be returned to your defaults using the digital display. Modern pop and electronica has the opposite problem with unnaturally loud bass with is easily tamed with the remote.

The REL with the Maggies crossover was usually set to 40Hz and it disappeared. My REL Gibraltar G2 crossover is set at between 28Hz - 32Hz depending on my mood, the Salk HT2-TL go down to 34HZ and most of the time I can't tell the sub is on unless the recording has deep bass. A good sub will also add space and depth to the recording, it's not always about bass.

I also use the sub for home theater so it is important for me to have a sub with a LFE input.

As you research subs make sure they go low enough with full power. A sub that only goes down to 30 Hz would be very hard to integrate.

I have never heard a SVS sub but in reviews they come out 2nd when compared to REL. A couple of friends have dual Rythmik subs and they are very good, I still like my REL better. It could be the room.

Wallacefl

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2021, 11:07 pm »
I have had Martin Logan speakers for years incl the CLS2z.....Audio Concepts with Eclipse 1238r meld well.