Rega P1 with Nagaoka MP 110

Zuman

Rega P1 with Nagaoka MP 110
« on: 18 Jan 2021, 04:30 am »
Uh...rookie question: After deciding to make a tentative foray into vinyl, I bought a Rega P1. After a few months I upgraded it with a glass platter with Achromat and an Edwards Little Belter belt (which moved the RPM from 33.8 to 33.3).  Then I decided to follow YouTuber HiFiVyNws' recommendations and installed a Nagaoka MP 110 cartridge.
The problem, of course, is that the P1 doesn't have adjustable anti-skate, so HiFiVynws' solution is to adjust the anti-skate magnet's position and lock it in place with a piece of BluTack. I've done that using a slight variance from his suggested position, but I'm just neurotic enough to keep wondering if I've got it as close as possible.
Do any of you have any experience with this specific combination...nd do you have any suggestions for getting the anti-skate right?
Thanks!
-Mike

jrtrent

Re: Rega P1 with Nagaoka MP 110
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:52 pm »
I have neither of your products, but hate to see a post go without at least some response.  I do have a Rega RP3, and I found the sound to be best with my anti-skate control set anywhere between its minimum position (it's never truly at zero anti-skate) and a position in which the stylus slowly moves towards the spindle on a blank record surface, which is less than the 1-gram mark on my anti-skate setting for a cartridge tracking at 1.35 grams.  My experience is that it's better to err on the side of too little rather than too much.

https://www.sound-smith.com/faq/how-do-i-adjust-anti-skating-my-cartridge

Zuman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2021, 01:48 am »
Thanks...I'll give it a try!

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2021, 02:01 am »
Every Rega arm I had, 3 of them, had too much AS and had to be set at 1 or less for a cart tracking at 1.8-2g.  Even at 0 on the dial, the arm would drift outward when zero balanced.  These arms are enjoyable but not very precise.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2021, 01:55 pm »
A couple things to remember when setting anti bias.  One, there is no correct setting as it changes across the record and changes with every record.  Two, the dial on your table is always too high.  Therefore setting by ear is the most effective way.   I use Liz Story's solo piano recording Solid Colors, which is recorded with the perspective of being directly behind the keyboard with the notes playing across the soundstage.  When that sounds equal and correct anti bias is set correctly.   An old audio friend uses recordings with deep bass centered far back in the soundstage, when that's centered his anti bias is correct.  The takeaway is any recording that is simple and easy to hear changes will work, and setting by ear works best.  Oh, and the blank record space setting is always wrong, the needle in a groove has way more drag.

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2021, 04:02 pm »
Jr / Letitroll, good responses(link) to a thoughtful subject   :thumb: