penguinpages

• penguinpages
Amp Placement Ideas: Servo Sub Kit
« on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:14 pm »

I purchased
2 x MTM Kits
2 x Servo Sub Kit 2

Built boxes.

But...  do not like my current boxes for the Subs with relation to the amplifier.

Picture shows:

Which is the amp in a dedicated external enclosure with a braided protection cable strap to protect the four wires to the speaker (box).

Here is my "alpha version" of the box.   Standard box format from website with amp stuck on top

I was / am not sure if and to what degree it was ok to extend the wires that come with the amp... so until I know how and best practices.. I constrained box design to have amp limited distance to speaker by that.

I put it above the unit, need it open to air for venting.. but was going to design speaker gill cover that allows air to pass so heat sink plate can vent and I can get to cables and knobs.
Pros: it works.  amp is recessed so I can allow cables, airflow and put cover on.
Cons: It takes up a lot of space (16 x 16 for speaker then now another 16 x 16 for height.  It also shakes, when I am playing loud.  I hate lights in room as a distraction and power status lights and servo activation blinking lights I will eventually cover. 

Questions:
1) Can other post their ServoSub Kits / box layouts where they placed amps so I can use community experience in design ideas
2) Can I use good copper cable and extend both speaker and servo side by a foot if I need (assume yes)

Thanks for feedback

WC

Re: Amp Placement Ideas: Servo Sub Kit
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:45 pm »
I built my amp into the rear of the box on the side opposite the driver. Much cleaner looking that way.

mikeeastman

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:47 pm »
I believe Danny has said not to extend the wire, you should check with him. I use 2 different methods with my sub amps. On my Super 7s they are in a box sitting on the floor behind speaker (pic1). For my sealed sub I built a stand and mounted amp in bak of it(pic 2).  a lot just mount the  amp in back of speaker cabinet.

penguinpages

• penguinpages
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2021, 05:34 am »
It has been a while.. but.. I figured I would post latest project.  I appreciated the ideas and images others posted.. and attached is mine.. open to ideas and critical review of how I addressed servo amp box and design.

Criteria (in order of importance):
1) needed to integrate amp into box
2) amp needed to be hidden (so kids would not muck with knobs)
3) Create air flow for amp for cooling
4) Allow reasonable access if needed to make adjustments
5) Create isolation from floor so the box would not play along with the music
6) Isolate the amp from vibrations of box

If their is any desire.. I can post diagrams and specs on box so others can use as they wish.

Use lots of clamps.. I did not on first box glue and it blew out crack.

Use Spacer To Pull Bottom In is needed with "sides and front" now 1 3/4" longer

Use temp screws to attach tennis balls and bottom to get spacing to base marked

Use 1/4" plywood for spacer and mark where you will screw it in

Hole For Power RCA cables in bottom section

Box Final Set and open to Adjust

Final Image.. Air vents on front. Venting and looking pritty