Philharmonic 3’s in Rosewood, Dennis Murphy’s flagships - KS

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
These are back up for sale. I withdrew them from sale here and decided to take a stab at improving them. Please read the thread below. The work I did is documented here…

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/my-philharmonic-3s-refining-the-refined.7036/

Asking $4k. Can work with a local shipper to palletize and freight at the buyers expense.

Message with questions.

- Woody

———

Decided to let my beloved Philharmonics go. These speakers are really really amazing. Just been playing with too much low power tube stuff lately.

I bought these from the original owner at the beginning of 2017, they were about 1.5yrs old then. They are finished in a beautiful Rosewood Veneer, which was an upgrade when new.

From Philharmonic's website:

“The state-of-the-art ScanSpeak Revelator 8-inch woofer extends useful bass response down to 20 Hz with very high power handling across the entire bass spectrum. For two-channel music applications, there should be no need for a separate subwoofer to enjoy the full impact of a symphony orchestra. For increased realism, the BG Neo8 planar midrange driver is housed in an open-back midrange chamber that adds ambiance and depth to the sound stage.  The amount of back wave information may be tuned to suit the needs and tastes of the user by varying the amount of acoustic fill in the cabinet chamber.  Highs are handled by the superb RAAL 10D ribbon tweeter.  Sorbothane feet isolate the upper midrange-tweeter cabinet from bass vibrations.

The carefully optimized 19-element crossover achieves nearly perfect 4th order acoustic slopes and remarkably flat frequency response and impedance across the audio spectrum.  Capacitors are Clarity Cap polypropylene except for the woofer-circuit capacitor, which is a Solen Fast Cap polypropylene.  Resistors are Mundorf noninductive.  All inductors are air core except for the woofer circuit, where the transmission line tuning requires the very low resistance provided by steel laminate inductors."

I had the custom outriggers fabbed up and added the spikes.

I would prefer local pickup in Wichita KS, or meet within a reasonable distance for a little gas money. I don’t have boxes, but if you must have them I can ship on your dime... but it won’t be cheap.

- Woody

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2022, 06:50 pm by Ictwoody »

Mudslide

Wonderful speakers in a lovely room.  If wishes were horses then I would ride right over there to get 'em.

GLWS.

Ictwoody

Wonderful speakers in a lovely room.  If wishes were horses then I would ride right over there to get 'em.

GLWS.

Ha! Thanks.

If you lose sleep over them, you know where to find me.

- Woody

2bigears

:D for 2800 bucks ,, those look pretty darn good. T-line bass is good stuff. Are there power hungry ?? I'd buy them if i was close by.  :D

mhconley

I wish I was in Kansas...

"There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home."
Darn, it didn't work.

Martin

Ictwoody

:D for 2800 bucks ,, those look pretty darn good. T-line bass is good stuff. Are there power hungry ?? I'd buy them if i was close by.  :D

They like some juice. Depends on room though. ~85db/1w/1m. 4ohms. They were amazing with my KWA-150 amp that is pictured. I think they need good current to sound their best.

I would ship them if I really needed to. I have a lot of experience with big stuff and I work with a really good pack/ship/freight company locally. So don't let distance stand in between you and a nice pair of speakers. :-)

- Woody

2bigears

:D I'm tempted ,, but 2200 km is a long haul.  Dam. That bass unit is so large.  Goes down low I bet.
             Regards ,, Pascal.    :D

Ictwoody

:D I'm tempted ,, but 2200 km is a long haul.  Dam. That bass unit is so large.  Goes down low I bet.
             Regards ,, Pascal.    :D

I need to see if I can dig up the measurements from the old Philharmonics site. These are pretty damn flat down to 25hz.

- Woody

Mudslide

I need to see if I can dig up the measurements from the old Philharmonics site. These are pretty damn flat down to 25hz.

- Woody

Woody,

As spec'ed, they are +/-2dB, 25-20k Hz. 

lewdogg

Oh my. I wish I was closer. GLWS!

Jon L

I'll take the horn speakers in the back, thanks  :thumb:

Ictwoody

To those who have inquired about shipping.

I have done some checking and I could box each bass-bin section of the speakers in a 30x30x16” box. They measure by appox 24x27x12. This would allow enough padding for them if going on a pallet for freight. The HF sections measure 14x15.25x12 and I could box them in 16x16x20” boxes. I would have to get the boxes here as these are stock sizes from ULINE, and they are the 1/4” double-walled 275lb rated boxes… but they only sell in bundles so I need to find a source for singles. The shipper I work with doesn’t have these exact ones in stock.

The other option would be to let them do the packing and shipping totally. I haven’t gone out there to discuss with them how they would do it… but I would be sure it’s done right. I still think freight is going to be the best/safest way to ship them after they are boxed for protection.

- Woody

joeyd

Anyone hazard a guess as to each top and bottom module weight?

DEP14

Wow, great speakers for the money.

Ictwoody

I'll try and set the bass bin and then the top module on my bathroom scale tomorrow. We'll try and just add an estimated weight on for packing materials.

Wow, great speakers for the money.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having second thoughts about offering them up...

- Woody

Ictwoody

The bass module weighs about 82lbs, and the top module weighs about 19lbs (according to my bathroom scale). I would think packaging would add at least 20lbs... so maybe guessing about ~125lbs for each packed speaker?

- Woody

JakeJ

Question Woody,  Are those BG Neo 10's or 8's for the midrange?  And what brand for the ribbon tweeter?

Ictwoody

Question Woody,  Are those BG Neo 10's or 8's for the midrange?  And what brand for the ribbon tweeter?

They are the Neo 8's. The tweeter is a RAAL 70-10D. The woofer is a ScanSpeak Revelator 22W 8". So not exactly a cheap driver compliment...

- Woody

DEP14

I don't like to use the comparison of a "poor mans" but I suppose this is a "poor mans" salk SS 10/12.  Similar concepts, same designers and builder. 

I have very little doubt these will outperform many 10k speakers out there.  While the shape is not as refined or sculpted as a SS12... it's still a heck of a speaker. 

Ictwoody

These aren’t built by Salk. Jim only built the cabs for the latter half of these before Dennis stopped offering them. I had bamboo Salk Songtowers which these replaced and why I wanted them... but the fit and finish, while very nice, isn’t near the level of Salk built cabs. Jim’s cabinet work is amazing.

I’m leaning toward withdrawing them from offer. I think I’m going to replace the internal wiring and binding posts etc, along with new outriggers I’ve designed and just keeping them around. They are great speakers, and after really looking them over the last few days, I think some small mods can make them even more special. Plus, as many have noted I honestly think it’ll take a $5-8k speaker pair to better them.

- Woody