SOLD: Omega Speakers - Junior Alnico XRS Towers in Teak

redwoodaudio

*Subwoofers have been sold*

$1500 including shipping in original boxes to lower 48 states.  Located in Santa Rosa, CA, 95409.

Hand-made, custom-made in Connecticut in 2020. Purchased directly from Louis Chochos of Omega Speakers. MSRP approx. $2500 plus waiting several months at least for production. In like-new condition. Not 100% scratch-free, but you have to look very closely to find any. This is the only such set in this finish in existence. 

Do you have a large jazz/blues/folk/vocal music collection? Do you have a low-powered-tube amp? If so, these are special speakers. Not only for the single-driver hemp-cone alnico magnet drivers on the towers, but also the stunning cabinetry. They have such a pure midrange clarity and tone -- you will not find better speakers for vocals and brass instruments in my opinion -- as well as pinpoint imaging and a massive soundstage to recreate the live experience incredibly well.

They are also extremely sensitive and can easily be driven by low-powered SET tube amps. I've driven these with an amp using type 46 tubes -- less than 1 watt per channel. But I've also driven them with a large solid state Pass Labs amp. They love it all. 8 ohm, 95 dB sensitivity. They are best suited for intimate near-field type setup where the holographic imaging can be best appreciated.

I'm selling them because I have a large collection of hip hop and heavy metal music that these speakers just aren't suited for. I'm sacrificing the purity of my jazz/blues/folk collection for a more versatile (and tonally compromised) speaker setup. These speakers were made for Miles Davis' trumpet and so many other beautiful instruments and I will miss them for that.

They come with original boxes and packing, isolation supports and spikes for the towers, grills (never used). Everything original.

Dimensions:
Towers 38.5" tall, 12" wide, 7" deep

My ad at usaudiomart:  https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649692228-omega-speakers-junior-alnico-xrs-towers-matching-10-subwoofers-in-teak/

From Omega Speakers website:

"Alnico HempCone driver found in Alnico series speakers:

Perfect point source and phase and time accurate
Full-range 6.5" driver with felt diffraction ring and 25mm voice coil
One-piece whizzer / dustcap assembly
Dual cone with twin rolled edge surround
Smoother high frequency transition at 11KHz, and open soundstage
Lightweight hemp cone material, with treated and pleated accordion fabric surround
Open, cast-aluminum basket, which greatly reduces back wave bounce back
Basket incorporates venting to keep motor cool
Powerful Alnico motor
95dB SPL
8 Ohm

Alnico Magnets

When I first heard the Alnico (magnet) sound in a driver, I knew it was for me. Now some upper-end Omega single-driver loudspeakers use Alnico magnets in their drivers.
Alnico is an acronym referring to alloys which are composed primarily of aluminum (symbol Al), nickel (symbol Ni) and cobalt (symbol Co), hence al-ni-co. For comparisons sake, 99% of dynamic drivers used in home audio utilize ferrite magnets. For a speaker designer, Alnico drivers are MUCH more expensive compared to their ferrite counterparts. But there is no question in my mind, Omega's proprietary Alnico drivers produce the sound and tone I strive for, so they are now used exclusively in some of my upper-end models. Compared to ferrite magnet counterparts, the sound produced by Omega Alnico drivers:

Is better balanced and more linear across the frequency spectrum.
Has better texture and layering.
Offers higher resolution (especially noticeable in the mid-bass area, with instruments like standup bass and kick-drums."

« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2021, 08:35 pm by redwoodaudio »