Pet Cockatiel votes for vinyl...

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Pet Cockatiel votes for vinyl...
« on: 4 Jan 2021, 05:40 pm »
So I was sitting around and the bird is flying over to the turntable and walking around on the dust cover. I shoo him off back he goes.. Start playing a record he says thank you and he flies off to his hidey hole to listen undistracted.
  :thumb:
(Yes the bird says  Thank You when he gets something he wants.. LOL)

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Pet Cockatiel votes for vinyl...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2021, 06:26 pm »
So I was sitting around and the bird is flying over to the turntable and walking around on the dust cover. I shoo him off back he goes.. Start playing a record he says thank you and he flies off to his hidey hole to listen undistracted.
  :thumb:
(Yes the bird says  Thank You when he gets something he wants.. LOL)

Thats funny and believable.  Years ago we had a Quaker Parrot that had at least a 30 word vocabulary.  We taught him to go poop on command which was great because they are pooping machines.  However, he learned to say "no" if he did not need to poop.  Eventually he started saying no to other things we would ask him to do. 

He did like music.

Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2021, 08:19 pm »
If I die before the bird.. He will drive any new owner insane calling "Let me Out". He says that if he gets stuck in the cage too long, Over and over and over... . Someone not letting him fly around a good part of the day is gonna go nuts.
Smart vs dumb birds. if they know it is themselves in a mirror. smart.  If they think it is another bird dumb.   :thumb:

toocool4

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2021, 09:16 pm »
I like your bird  Elizabeth, he sounds amazing.

When I was little we use to have an African grey, it said a lot of things and one of the things it use to say to my mum was show-off. It was correct my mother was a show-off. You could never pick it up as it use to bite, also it was able to open the cage so the cage was useless we just use to let it roam around like it wanted.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2021, 10:49 pm »
Birds are definitely smart.  Ours use to let himself out of his cage until we put a good lock in it.  Twice a day roughly every 12 hours he would screech very loudly for 30 minutes.  Many Parrots do this.  It drove you crazy because it was ear piercing.  He use to take showers with my daughter and he loved women.  He drove you nuts with mimicking the phone, dogs barking and coughing.

gene9p

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2021, 11:12 pm »

He knows good music when he hears it..lol

31 1/2 years old...!!!

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2021, 11:54 pm »
He knows good music when he hears it..lol

31 1/2 years old...!!!

Oh that poor bird needs a bit of TLC, do you know why it’s plucked some of it's feathers or did they just fall out?  :(

gene9p

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2021, 04:26 pm »
He's been a plucker his whole life..he gets so much attention, care, best foods and veggies..he lives like a king. Even more so now that I am retired for quite a few years..Most likely a mating thing but once they mate it's forever so he would be gone.  :cry:

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2021, 04:49 pm »
gene9p i wonder if the feather plucking is a stress thing?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2021, 09:22 pm »
You need a bird vest or collar to stop the plucking.  There are several varieties

https://birdsupplies.com/collections/feather-plucking-bird-collar

gene9p

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2021, 11:07 pm »
Those collars look interesting. His Vet wants to do hormone shots..500 bucks for 3 shots..every year??!. I did it once and didn't like how he behaved/acted after the shots..He has a big cage, best foods, vitamins, and so much attention since he was three months old so if he is stressed it is hard to see why.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2021, 11:42 pm »
Great story Elizabeth, and a great bird.  Does he prefer vinyl over digital, or will any music do?

gene9p

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2021, 04:01 pm »
My guy loves the Beatles any way he can get them..lol  :lol:..in my home that means vinyl

Elizabeth

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2021, 08:12 pm »
My bird is happy with female vocals, and most Classical. Jazz not clear, depends on mood, ditto Rock.
I play mainly Classical and some Jazz then a little Rock once in awhile.

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2021, 08:34 pm »
Great story, Elizabeth.  I had a bronze wing conure that i taught to whistle Dixie at sunrise.  That was my alarm clock!  And LO...as soon as I started playing Charlie Daniels...he started dancing.  Southern bird, I guess.