RIP Tony Rice

Craig B

RIP Tony Rice
« on: 28 Dec 2020, 01:49 pm »
The bluegrass, newgrass, new acoustic and dawg music worlds were shocked and saddened to learn of the passing of Tony Rice on Christmas morning. He died suddenly while making his morning coffee.

Rice was, nearly without argument, the most influential flat-picking guitarist in history. All of the genres mentioned above will be forever touched by his input. His technical ability was matched only by his imagination, taste and consummate musicality. He was a giant, who cast a long shadow and will be sorely missed. His iconic D-28, once owned by the equally influential Clarence White, and itself as recognizable as Rice, with its modified soundhole and uncharacteristically bound fretboard, is said to be headed to Rice's brother, Wyatt.

Rest in peace, Tony.

JakeJ

Re: RIP Tony Rice
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2020, 04:26 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  Although I'm not intimately familiar with his work I'll be checking it out, thanks.

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2020, 05:08 pm »
I've been listening to "Backwaters" for the past 20 years, some of the most amazing acoustic guitar you will ever hear, beautiful compositions. We have lost so many great musicians this year, I will miss Tony Rice. Fortunately he left us quite a few fine recordings.

Craig B

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2020, 05:40 pm »
I've been listening to "Backwaters" for the past 20 years, some of the most amazing acoustic guitar you will ever hear, beautiful compositions. We have lost so many great musicians this year, I will miss Tony Rice. Fortunately he left us quite a few fine recordings.

Yes, many recordings, of a wide variety of music, from traditional country duets with Ricky Skaggs, to outright bluegrass, to collaborations with David Grisman (which led Rice to his own experiments with "Dawg" music and jazz), to covers of Gordon Lightfoot, of whom Rice was an unabashed fan.

nc42acc

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2020, 07:49 pm »
Tony was an iconic bluegrass musician who left his mark on the genre. He will be missed and greatly remembered.

jriggy

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2020, 09:08 pm »
I almost remember the day in the late 90’s when I found out who Tony Rice was. RIP.

fridays

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2020, 03:58 am »
Sad to hear this
For fun try listening to The Pizza Tapes
Garcia, Grisman, Rice

limits

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2020, 04:46 am »

Another gut punch that is 2020. John Prine, Jeff Bagby (realize not a musician, but his passing hit me hard), Tony Rice. So many others... Tony could ROLL...RIP, brother.

Check out https://www.allmusic.com/album/devlin-mw0000194289

Hoping for a better and healthy 2021 for all. Peace.

limits

mav52

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2020, 12:51 pm »
I saw him so many times at Bluegrass events, he always impressed.   R.I.P.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2020, 01:16 pm »