SP3 New To Me

Alphonse

SP3 New To Me
« on: 23 Dec 2020, 05:06 pm »
I have been considering trying a surround prepro for way too long and finally broke down and bought a used SP3. Hoping to get it in early January. I have been using a stealth 2 channel setup - OPPO 105 XLR direct to Bryston Powerpac 300s to Dynaudio Confidence 5 speakers with an Apple TV 4K to the OPPO HDMI input with a Samsung 1080p TV. Actually sounds pretty good albeit somewhat dry clinical analytical. So, looking forward to the SP3 sound quality. Initially my plan is to get a Dynaudio center speaker and a third mono block amp (hopefully find another PP300) and try 3.0 to start and then expand from there. Also looking at used 6BSSTs.

To all of you SP3 owner experts I am open to setup/settings suggestions. It is all new to me. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Holidays, whatever works for you.

Al

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: SP3 New To Me
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2020, 06:06 pm »
Setup is pretty easy really. You'll be best served with a sound pressure meter so you can adjust the volume level of each speaker relevant to the main seating locations. You'll also need the distance from that location to each speaker. After that, it's about tweaking speaker position and possibly adding bass traps or things to control reflections. That part (IMO) requires more research and work though.

- Garrett