Audiophile guitar cables

irappaport

Audiophile guitar cables
« on: 23 Dec 2020, 02:03 am »
Hi.  Has anyone spent time examining cables and patch cords for guitar and get a sense of how much they influence the sound.  I know firsthand cables make a huge difference in my stereo.
Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Audiophile guitar cables
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2020, 03:05 am »
These cables are made tô be cheap, imune tô RF interference as they are long and robust since they are foot pressed by musicians and roadies.
They have no sound project by the manufacturers IMO. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2020, 10:27 am »
No real comparison tests but Roland makes real good ones.
The difference in sound quality between their cables and generic ones is not subtle.

Craig B

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2020, 12:03 pm »
The only difference I ever noticed was between dirt cheap and name brand, and in that case the sole audible effect was interference rejection, resulting in less noise.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2020, 05:51 pm »
http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cablechoice.shtml

In all likelihood cable length as well as geometry will affect tone and the roll-off frequency in general, since inherent capacitance of the cable will interact with the high inductance of the pickup.  Or something like that.  :green:

That said I haven't done any meaningful comparisons myself but I usually will go for well constructed cables for the most part. I've used Evidence Audio and currently use Death Valley cables. I would probably have no problem using Planet Waves, Dimarzio, TruTonic, Fender Vintage or whatever as long as they're not buzzy or prone to falling apart. I wonder how many of my favorite guitar recordings were made with crappy cables? :scratch:

Loki57

« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2020, 05:55 pm »
Jena Labs make custom guitar cables

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2020, 01:30 am »
Ive been using these for years , not  bad, Evidence Audio Lyric HG guitar cable