Mike Lundy Speaks!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Mike Lundy Speaks!
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2020, 05:09 pm »
I couldn't agree more Mike! Have you tried other tubes in the M1200s?

Yes. During the beta test I kept the stock tubes in. As such, my comments are based on the stock tubes. After the beta test was over I replaced the stock tubes with Mullard CV4003s (12AU7). As good as the stock tubes are, I like the Mullards better. They are richer sounding but didn't give up any detail or soundstage. Before anybody asks why didn't PS Audio just use the Mullards, there are at least two reasons I know of. First is availability, the second is cost. The PS Vane 12AU7s are $99 a pair while the Mullard CV4003s are $149 each.

The stock tubes are very good. I didn't feel any need to change, I was just curious as to what the difference would be.

sunnydaze

« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2020, 06:00 pm »
In my experience you can never go wrong with Mullard NOS tubes.  Every type I have tried has been sweet and musical with lovely tone.    :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Dec 2020, 09:56 pm »
The Amperex Bugle Boy 12au7 is also very nice.  Similar tone to the Mullards but more punch and clarity.

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 12 Dec 2020, 12:15 am »
The Amperex Bugle Boy 12au7 is also very nice.  Similar tone to the Mullards but more punch and clarity.

Agreed!   :thumb:

RCA black plates.  Good ol' American made NOS that flies a bit under the radar and are not as dear as the European jobbies, but can also bring the musical goodness.  Also, 12v variants of tubes labelled "Baldwin Organ", yellow label / black plates.  Not sure who makes them, I'm guessing American.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2020, 04:13 pm by sunnydaze »