New Member from Washington State, USA

xralex

New Member from Washington State, USA
« on: 24 Nov 2020, 12:30 am »
Hello everyone,

I have been into stereo and music since my early teens and have delved in and out of the hobby over the years. I find myself getting more into the hobby again as my job has transitioned to working from home. What started as simply getting better audio from my work laptop out of necessity has turned into dusting off all my old gear and getting it installed into my new home office. I have a collection of home and car audio gear that spans a few decades, my Linn LP12 and Dunlavy Audio Labs SC-1s are still in use but are now controlled through a NAD C 658 Streaming DAC to a pair of Sinfoni Amplitude AB Class car audio amplifiers (120.4 and 150.2 models) that allows me to have 6 channels of amplification. I have been having a great time working out the problems in this 10ft x 10ft little room, experimenting with bi-amping the SC-1s, room treatments and finding new music using Tidal.

A good deal of my listening time is also spent on headphones after my family goes to sleep but I  have several hours during my work day to get distracted and dig through forums and YouTube for new information.

I am hoping to find some people in the Greater Seattle area to connect with to geek out over all things audio but I will also be lurking here in the forums chiming in when I can.

-Jeff

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Member from Washington State, USA
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2020, 12:37 am »
Welcome Jeff  :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2020, 12:59 am »
welcome

nice folks here

Samoyed

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2020, 02:04 am »
Seattle, Denny Blaine neighborhood.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2020, 01:40 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff   :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2020, 04:50 pm »
Hello and Welcome to AudioCircle from Eastern WA, Kennewick to be exact.  Hope you get to meet up with like-minded folks in Seattle.

laaudionut

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2020, 12:02 am »
Welcome! New member here as well.

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2020, 08:08 pm »
Do you have the lights inside the box? That would warm up the box some. If the lights arent inside the box, the box would stop drafts but not do much more. Are those lights OK to use in a confined space?
What???

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2020, 01:30 am »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2020, 12:39 pm »
Welcome!

Bass peaks/dips are inherent in residentially sized rooms to start with, but small/square rooms are the bane of audiophiles.  You could try effective bass traps (suggest GIK here at Audio Circle), but any bass traps take up space.  Another possible option is the apply DSP, suggest Dirac (which is easy to use) or REW (Room Eq Wizard which is free and more powerful).  For more info recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room.