No-clamp speaker build?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: No-clamp speaker build?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2020, 06:09 pm »

These are screws that work with either a Philips (cross) or a Roberston (square) driver. Makes for seemless use in the US & Canada where in the US you likely have a Philips screwdriver and A robertson in Canada If given the choice i do choose Robertson screws over Philips headed ones. They just work better.

dave

mrhyfy

« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2020, 06:19 pm »
We might be getting Philips screwdrivers in Canada in a few years!! :lol:

mrhyfy

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2020, 06:25 pm »
Masking or box tape can also be used for clamping small glue ups.

https://youtu.be/7JO36qSMXEQ?t=156

I used that approach to build a Hi-Vi kit.  Worked like a charm. When you install the top and bottom everything squares up.  Make sure the wood is completely clean.  Don't be cheap with the tape.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #23 on: 19 Nov 2020, 06:27 pm »
:^D

droht

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2020, 01:14 pm »
I've had to use the clear packaging tape that you can buy from Office Max , Staples or Home Depot. My cabs are curved and clamps won't work. That tape has a little stretch, so it's perfect for this job. Buy the name brand heavy duty tape though, not the store brand stuff. It makes a big difference. And, as an added benefit, epoxy wont stick to it.

I think this is what I'll do. Never saw this option coming. Glad so many people mentioned it. Thanks.

droht

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2020, 01:19 pm »
Good advice on screwing @WGH and @planet10, but I think I'm going to skip that step.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2020, 04:25 pm by droht »

droht

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2020, 01:22 pm »
I used that approach to build a Hi-Vi kit.  Worked like a charm. When you install the top and bottom everything squares up.  Make sure the wood is completely clean.  Don't be cheap with the tape.

I may end spending more on tape than on cheap clamps, but I'm ok with that. My mid-life crisis wasn't a sports car or something typical, it was an enduring urge to declutter. So a bunch of clamps I'd probably never use again was not sitting well with me.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2020, 02:33 pm »

droht

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2020, 04:18 pm »
Buy two of these for thirty bucks, use them, sell then here at AC for $15... or better yet, give them away on the Karma Circle. 
https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71101-Deluxe-Clamp-Quick-Release/dp/B0793RHS45/ref=sr_1_10?crid=JOWB2OURB9Z5&dchild=1&keywords=furniture+clamps+woodworking&qid=1605881753&sprefix=furniture+clamp%2Caps%2C328&sr=8-10

Looks good, but I'm honestly questioning my competency to use it properly.  I'm imagining the box being slightly off, me trying to get it square, and then twenty minutes later it's in pieces, wood glue everywhere, and I have to patch the hole in the wall from where the clamp hit it.  I understand tape pretty well.  And my limitations.   :wink:

S Clark

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2020, 07:52 pm »
OK.  Hope this turns out to be a fun project for you and your teenager.  Post some photos when its done. 
Oh, and one last suggestion.  If you aren't sure you can get everything lined up exact, Gorilla glue has an expansion factor and can fill small gaps.  It's not as strong as wood glue done right, but better if the fit is slightly off.

droht

« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2020, 08:44 pm »
OK.  Hope this turns out to be a fun project for you and your teenager.  Post some photos when its done. 
Oh, and one last suggestion.  If you aren't sure you can get everything lined up exact, Gorilla glue has an expansion factor and can fill small gaps.  It's not as strong as wood glue done right, but better if the fit is slightly off.

Thanks again.  I will post some photos.  Idea is to do this over Winter break, so maybe by Labor Day.  :)

Funny you should mention glue.  My default is Gorilla Glue for most things, but wasn't sure I should choose their wood glue over Loctite, or something.  Sounds like GG for the win.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2020, 09:15 pm »
Use yellow carpenter's glue for doing pywood or pdf.

dave

WGH

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2020, 10:06 pm »
I use polyurethane, yellow glues and epoxy when woodworking, each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Polyurethane and epoxy have long set times, perfect for complex assemblies or taping boxes together where everything can slide around. When using tape as a clamp I use a pin nailer to hold the pieces in alignment before taping. Alternately you can use small 1-1/4" brads pre-nailed into one board, but not all the way through. Align and tap the brad to keep pieces from sliding. Hint: pre-drill for the brad with a 1/16" drill bit but drill from the inside (the glue side). Draw a line 3/8" from the edge for drill bit alignment, that way the brad will always be in the center of the 3/4" thick mating MDF piece.

I prefer Grizzly One polyurethane glue, the flow is perfect (Gorilla Glue is too thick) and it is cheaper. Depending on your location you may have to dampen one side first since polyurethane glues need moisture to cure, here in Tucson, AZ dampening is mandatory. Even though the instructions say you can apply to one side, MDF end grain is porous so apply to both sides, I've done destruction tests on all the glues I use.
https://www.grizzlyglue.com/grizzly-one/

If you are fast then yellow glue works very well, but with MDF you only have a couple of minutes before things begin to set.

Titebond Original would be the glue to use, it has a harder, stable glue line when dry.

Titebond II and III are not necessarily stronger but are more waterproof which comes with tradeoffs. The waterproof properties also means the glue line is more flexible, the wood can expand and contract without the glue line failing. The flexible movement in the glue line also results in a small but noticeable bump (raised line) at the glue line, sand it down and it will re-appear a few months later after the humidity changes.

S Clark

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2020, 11:04 pm »
Use yellow carpenter's glue for doing pywood or pdf.

dave
IF  you have tight, straight joints. 

droht

« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2020, 02:54 am »
IF  you have tight, straight joints.

I really can't go down a rabbit hole on glue.  @S Clark seems to be getting the idea that this will not be a "top of the line build" and is recommending Gorilla Glue because it is more forgiving if things are < perfect.  That makes sense to me.

S Clark

« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2020, 03:05 am »
I really can't go down a rabbit hole on glue.  @S Clark seems to be getting the idea that this will not be a "top of the line build" and is recommending Gorilla Glue because it is more forgiving if things are < perfect.  That makes sense to me.
Not that it can't be "top of the line", but that joints may slip a bit without clamps.  GG may be a better choice.

Fredericksburg

« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2020, 05:52 pm »
Please take plenty pictures and post your progress and you go. 

Robert