Alternative 5 channel amps

musicology

« on: 5 Mar 2005, 07:57 pm »
My current set up consists of Bryston SP1.7, 9B SST, PMC OB1, TB2+ C, DB1+.

Im happy with the sound for movies but with stereo I think its lacking a little oomph and body.
While the overall presentation is accurate I find the bass a little dry.

I am therfore looking for an alternative amp that will deliver a little more impact particularly in the lower region.  

I am considering the BAT VK6200 which has great reviews but I have yet to hear it so I really dont know how well it will do with my set up.
Have any of you guys heard it? Partcularly with PMC speakers.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

PhilNYC

« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2005, 08:24 pm »
I like BAT gear a lot, but some feel it is too "dark" sounding.  Another one to consider that would probably fall halfway between the BAT and your Bryston is the Pass Labs X5...

musicology

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2005, 08:37 pm »
Thanks for the input Phil, but can you expand on "dark" for me please.

PhilNYC

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2005, 08:43 pm »
Well...sound is always hard to describe, but I mean "dark" as opposed to "bright".  Not saying that "dark" means rolled off or anything like that, but perhaps things sound a little more rounded, a touch laid-back.

Fife12

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2005, 10:37 pm »
I'm not sure if Krell would be any better than Bryston besides the bass. You could always try out Levinson/Proceed/Pass Labs...etc

Try to see if you can demo as many amp brands as possible.  

If you serious about 2 channel listening, I do think you should get another amplifier for your OB1's as they should get more juice than the 9B's you are currently feeding them.