Ohms and Gnomes - Things I don't understand

Metfit77@gmail.com

Ohms and Gnomes - Things I don't understand
« on: 10 Nov 2020, 03:27 pm »
Looking for your comments and advice on my situation. The primary purpose of this post is to increase my knowledge.

I have a single, triple H frame, but only have two woofers installed. (sw-12-16fr). It will be a while before I can order the third as I am waiting to also purchase another kit and other items. Buying the woofer by itself just doesn't make sense because of shipping cost, etc.

I have a third woofer that I currently not using. a SW-12-08 (not FR). I have two questions.

1. I know that this woofer isn't meant to be used in an open baffle. What would be downsides in using that 3rd woofer temporarily in my H Frame.

2. What would be the consequences of using a 8ohm driver with 2 x 16 ohm drivers?

I look forward to hearing your opinions on the subject.

Danny Richie

Re: Ohms and Gnomes - Things I don't understand
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2020, 03:52 pm »
What would happen if you dropped the SW-12-08 woofer into the mix is the impedance would be too low for the amp. And if played hard the 08 model woofer would see the same power as both of the other two woofers (more power from lower impedance) and the suspension is not designed for open baffle applications and it would tend to run out of X-Max more easily.

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2020, 04:03 pm »
That makes sense. I will stick with the two until I can get my hands on a third. I had a feeling it would not work, but I am glad to understand why.

thanks for the advice. Love this community.

PS. I love my fully upgraded X-Statik speakers. I highly recommend them (and the upgrade) to everyone I speak with. Unreal value at that price point.

Toecutter

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2020, 04:48 pm »
A fabled race of dwarflike creatures who live underground and guard treasure hoards.

emailtim

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2020, 01:49 am »

Texas version.