Another ESL speaker project underway

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Another ESL speaker project underway
« on: 10 Nov 2020, 01:31 pm »
Hi all, 

Having sworn off speaker building forever, after the 4-pair speaker project last year; the psychosis is back and I'm now making sawdust on two pairs of my Jazzman MkIII hybrid electrostatic speaker, and both pairs will be for sale.   

The MkIII is a symmetrically segmented wire-stator design which bends the wave front electronically to emulate a line source projecting a cylindrical wave front, giving wider and smoother trending dispersion than a curved ESL, or even most conventional speakers.   

The frame and stator lattices are solid red oak with interlocking joinery (no MDF or veneers) and will include front & back magnetically attached grills/dust covers.  The bass section uses a 12” Peerless SLS woofer in a tapered H-baffle, crossing over at 250Hz.     

The MkIII is not a plug & play design-- it must be bi-amplified using an outboard digital crossover (not included).  I recommend a DBX Driverack PA2 or Venu 360.

These speakers are horrifically labor intensive to build, and after auditioning them at this year’s CarverFest, I've had more requests to buy them than I can possibly build.   I will be offering these two pairs by auction on the CarverSite forum, because all requests came from members on that forum, who’ve seen and heard them.     

If anyone here on the AC wishes to bid, you can do so by joining the CarverSite (you don’t have to own any Carver gear to join-- they will welcome you) and placing a bid when the auction starts.  It will take me several months to complete the speakers and I will post a notice in advance of the auction.  There will be a minimum bid and a warranty.   

Just to give an idea of how good these speakers are; one of the guys who bought a pair this year sold his Legacy Whispers and kept the MkIII's.  And he told me that the Whispers had more bass (two 15" woofers, duh...), but the MKIII's are better in every other respect.   

Below are photos and a video showing the Jazzman MkIII speaker: 

https://youtu.be/Q_4sddiBEoU

« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2020, 03:56 pm by Jazzman53 »

BruceSB

Re: Another ESL speaker project underway
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2020, 10:55 pm »
Great to see that you are making your great speakers available to the electrostatic speaker loving public.
Not to mention making a little extra cash on the side!
Actually this does not appear particularly uncommon.
I understand Blanko only make four of their electrostatics per year.
Hope it all goes well.
Bruce

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2020, 12:57 pm »
I had the honor of seeing and hearing these at Carverfest.  They were amazing on many levels.

Paul

Digi-G

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2020, 05:05 pm »
C'mon, you know you love making these!

Even that jig you have for laying out / stretching the wires is something to behold.  I've watched your build video several times.  Even on youtube I can tell these speakers are something special.