New member intro

JBMeteo

New member intro
« on: 3 Nov 2020, 04:21 pm »
Good to be in the 'circle'. I suspect like many that I've been lured into the world of better sound recently, but have roots going way back. I just went down to the basement to get the name of the speaker that first had me say 'wow that's good' and it's the Marantz Imperial 6 I bought in 1973. Well I'm retired now and really enjoying my baby steps back into great sound, the vagaries of ARC, Dirac, and REW since I'm a scientist after all, and enjoying remastered high definition audio of classic, progressive and jazz music as well as home theater.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member intro
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2020, 04:30 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2020, 02:26 pm »
Welcome!

Love resurrecting audio dinosaurs and introducing them to 21st century audio.  (I'm a retired engineer and have been around audio for most of the past 50 years.)

You missed the teething pains of CD's and class D amplifiers, the death/rebound of tubes and vinyl, and the transition of sound from regional/national tastes to more of a worldwide uniformity (not un-similar to all the mom and pop restaurants being replaced by chains). 

You might like audiosciencereview.com and reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction".

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2020, 03:42 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC JB   :thumb:

JBMeteo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2020, 07:41 pm »
Thanks JLM will look into it. As you may have guessed from my user name, I'm a retired meteorologist. My specialty was remote sensing and using those instruments, mostly space based.

JBMeteo

New member intro 2 - Sound in meteorology
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2020, 07:51 pm »
Since I'm in the introduction side, I thought I'd share the fascinating work of a colleague I used to work with who built instruments using sound to measure, listen if you will, to the atmosphere. The link below is from Al Bedard who build instruments to listen to the atmosphere using infrasound; very low frequency sound waves. It started with science to ensure compliance with the nuclear test ban treaty where 'listening' for nuclear tests was proposed. Later this grew into his effort to build and test instruments to sense various atmospheric parameters. Since the circle seems quite technical, I thought some of you might appreciate this. Back to HT and other regular audio topics in my next post.

https://psl.noaa.gov/programs/infrasound/atmospheric_infrasound.pdf

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member intro 2 - Sound in meteorology
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2020, 03:49 am »
Since I'm in the introduction side, I thought I'd share the fascinating work of a colleague I used to work with who built instruments using sound to measure, listen if you will, to the atmosphere. The link below is from Al Bedard who build instruments to listen to the atmosphere using infrasound; very low frequency sound waves. It started with science to ensure compliance with the nuclear test ban treaty where 'listening' for nuclear tests was proposed. Later this grew into his effort to build and test instruments to sense various atmospheric parameters. Since the circle seems quite technical, I thought some of you might appreciate this. Back to HT and other regular audio topics in my next post.

https://psl.noaa.gov/programs/infrasound/atmospheric_infrasound.pdf
Thanks for posting, that is a interesting work, do you would have a link for sound samples of these records in the atmosphere?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2020, 04:38 am »
Welcome!

JBMeteo

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2020, 06:36 pm »
Thanks for posting, that is a interesting work, do you would have a link for sound samples of these records in the atmosphere?
Hmmm, I'll take a look. However, Al Bedard retired some years ago prior to when posting work like this was easy.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2020, 04:29 am »
Hmmm, I'll take a look. However, Al Bedard retired some years ago prior to when posting work like this was easy.
Thanks, I used to listen a AM/FM receiver in rainy days to listen the atmosphere of my area.