New Member Intro

Dirtman

New Member Intro
« on: 3 Nov 2020, 03:42 pm »
Hello!

I'm an addicted audio tinkerer and collector (although my wife would say hoarder ;-).  I've been interested in "vintage" audio since the late 90s.  My interest has drifted towards DIY audio projects over the last few years, amplifier and speaker kits mostly and some modifications.  I'm a member of audiokarma and diyaudio and have spent countless hours reading threads and learning as much as I can wrap my head around.  I have nearly zero formal electronics education.  Its been a whole lot of trial and error, distressed head scratching, and the inevitable post to get bailed out by someone more knowledgeable.  That said, I have learned so much over the years by just doing it, figuring out what went wrong and why. 

Going forward I'm hoping to learn more about speaker design.  I've always been intimidated by the complexity of it.  Sound perception is such a personal and subjective subject.  I'm pretty good at woodworking, fabrication and finishing.

Look forward to learning and participating to the extent I can.

Dirtman

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2020, 04:02 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Dirtman   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2020, 05:11 am »
Welcome Dirtman  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2020, 02:27 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2020, 04:24 am »
Going forward I'm hoping to learn more about speaker design.  I've always been intimidated by the complexity of it.  Sound perception is such a personal and subjective subject.  I'm pretty good at woodworking, fabrication and finishing.
Hi Dirtman,
Since you mentioned your interest in speakers, please allow me show you my passion for FR drivers, they can be very simple and inexpensive to build if one refrain from using whimsy eccentricity solutions like tweeters and xovers and stick to the lone FR driver concept.
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/recommended-15-full-range-speaker-driver-for-music-loudspeaker-with-tube-amplifier-f-15-in-pair/