Hello from Northern CA

bdalessio

Hello from Northern CA
« on: 30 Oct 2020, 11:13 pm »
I got my first turntable as a gist at age 10, and it was a slippery slope from there.  My first cd player came several years later (when they were first introduced), along with a Denon intergrated and Monster cable purchased from The Good Guys!  My current configuration is a network attached storage device streaming to NAD Master Series.  I hope to learn more about how to make my system sound the way I envision it to be.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Northern CA
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2020, 02:13 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2020, 03:16 am »
welcome

where in norcal are you?

this is a good site for idea exchange... lots of very experienced members

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2020, 10:55 am »
Welcome!

It seems we're on similar paths.  My first serious audio gear came in the mid-70's and I run a NAD M10 Master Series all-in-one streamer, DAC, pre/power amp with Dirac that I plug a flash drive into but mostly use Tidal. 

You didn't mention loudspeakers or your listening environment.  Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 1st or 3rd edition to learn how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  Toole has recently retired from Harmon International (home of JBL, Mark Levinson, Revel, Crown, etc.) and before worked at the National (Canadian) Research Center as one of the world's leading acousticians.  I'm a big proponent of the importance of the room, most way over invest for the given room.

First step is to pick your listening room, ideally not small or squarish, well insulated, and dedicated to audio.  Second pick loudspeakers.  Toole invented modern anechoic chamber testing (Spinorama) that accurately predicts in-room performance.  Third, add carefully placed multiple subwoofers (3 or 4) to tame inherent in-room bass peaks/dips (up to 30 dB).  Fourth, add bass traps (effective absorption) to further tame bass peaks/dips as needed.  Fifth, top off with room measurement/EQ if needed.  If you're unable/unwilling to go to this extent consider headphones.

When we built 15 years ago I got a well insulated 8ft x 13ft x 21ft "studio" (audio in the front, office in the back) which follows the fibonacci ratios.  It has 3 carefully placed subwoofers, 6 wide band absorption panels, 4 bass traps, and 3 tall bookcases to act as "casual" diffusers.  Also use the <500 Hz Dirac that came on the M10.  Set up is midfield with office chair directly behind the listening chair.  Current loudspeakers are 16 year old commissioned floor standing single driver design in transmission line cabinets.  Have also owned active 2-way monitors.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2020, 01:25 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC bdalessio   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2020, 07:10 pm »
Welcome to AC!