Hello everyone

Groovin

Hello everyone
« on: 24 Oct 2020, 04:22 am »
I live in Maryville Ill.   Me and the wife love music and I like this hobby.  We turned the dinning room into our record room recently got a decent set of speakers from GR research Carnegie CST-1 then I bought the IOTA pre amp and amp sounded much better than my old Onko 805  Surround receiver but the IOTA amp had a problem Then had problems with customer service so sent them both back.  So to My question I’m buying a new Yamaha AS-2200  Then considering pairing it with a topping D90 I would be all in for under 4500     Is this a decent start ?  Always wondering because it’s a gamble when you can’t audition. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2020, 11:06 am »
Welcome!

Are you keeping the loudspeakers?  Always recommend starting system building with loudspeakers for multiple reasons.  Then the power amp can simply be seen as the device to get the best out of the loudspeakers.  If service and reliability are issues, recommend looking for a good bricks and mortar store to help you. 

Tons of questions to sort through:  budget; preferred genres; listening habits (quiet, solo, near-field); and room (size, shape, treatments, insulation) to start with.  Suggest prioritizing the room and matching loudspeakers to all of the above.  Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate audiophile guide for learning how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room. 

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2020, 01:26 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle.

Groovin

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2020, 05:23 pm »

Welcome!

Are you keeping the loudspeakers?  Always recommend starting system building with loudspeakers for multiple reasons.  Then the power amp can simply be seen as the device to get the best out of the loudspeakers.  If service and reliability are issues, recommend looking for a good bricks and mortar store to help you. 

Tons of questions to sort through:  budget; preferred genres; listening habits (quiet, solo, near-field); and room (size, shape, treatments, insulation) to start with.  Suggest prioritizing the room and matching loudspeakers to all of the above.  Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate audiophile guide for learning how loudspeakers/subwoofers behave in-room.
Yes I am very happy with the speakers especially after installing No-Rez and sonic caps per Danny recommendations . I'm getting the Yamaha for a good price and need to pair with a dac so was thinking the Topping D90

Groovin

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2020, 05:33 pm »
Those are not the speakers in the photo

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2020, 06:39 pm »
Welcome to the group.

I am unfamiliar with both the speakers and amplifier, but I usually recommend lightly used audio equipment to get the most out of your budget (phono cartridges and DACs excepted).

Groovin

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2020, 07:55 pm »
I agree but the amp is 50% off through a friend so I went  for it

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2020, 12:18 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

EvanF

• audio repair guy
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2020, 01:04 am »
Welcome! Sounds like you have a great setup. That amp should be a great match for your speakers. If you have any questions involving further setup expenditures and modifications (like room treatment and speaker placement etc.), we're happy to help. Also, this forum has meetups from time to time.

Groovin

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2020, 03:08 am »
Welcome! Sounds like you have a great setup. That amp should be a great match for your speakers. If you have any questions involving further setup expenditures and modifications (like room treatment and speaker placement etc.), we're happy to help. Also, this forum has meetups from time to time.
Thanks once the pandemic is over it would be nice to hear local setups

Chalkdust

• Can't I live when I'm young?!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2020, 03:09 am »
Welcome! I am excited to hear about those carnegies. I had my eye on those for a while.   Sounds like you are putting together a great setup!

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm »
Welcome to the insanity!

Groovin

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2020, 05:54 pm »

Finally got my start with the Insanity. Thanks Danny for the speakers and pairing them with the Yamaha AS-2200 and Topping D90 also with the Audio Technica LP120 which plan to modify or upgrade. There's not a better time to stay home & stay safe and Jam on ( and don't watch the news until February )